It’s a pretty common experience to be absolutely frustrated by the modern dating scene in Nashville. Nashville has a reputation as being a “Music City”, a place of deep cultural heritage, and a growing technological hub, but the challenge of actually meeting new people is a persistent issue. With our lives becoming more digitized by the day and the unfortunate realities of our post-pandemic world continuing to impact how we interact, dating in Nashville can be an absolute nightmare.
Is there any good news for those that haven’t found a date in Nashville? Absolutely! With some effort on your part, finding a date in Nashville is actually a much easier process than in other cities in the South. The only catch is that you will absolutely have to venture out from your familiar neighborhood, take a deep dive into the Nashville dating scene, and put yourself in places that may be absolutely new and exciting. While it may seem scary to scope out new music venues or experience an unfamiliar setting (especially with a new romantic prospect), you’ll be surprised at the quality of singles you can find if you just change your approach!
In this in-depth guide, you will learn some of the best suggestions on where to meet Nashville singles, great date ideas in the city to help you find your bearings, and some of our favorite date spots around Nashville that have been the backdrop for some successful dates.
Table of Contents
What Dating in Nashville Is Like Right Now
First, let's set some expectations about what the Nashville dating scene is actually like:
Many young singles choose Nashville for its proximity to the music industry and unequaled nightlife. Plus, Nashville has a diverse set of industries that make the city a great way to start a career, and a cost of living that’s below comparable cities in the United States. With so many big business and governmental entities here like Amazon, Dell, AT&T, Randstad, and plenty of healthcare providers, new people are constantly moving to Nashville for its opportunities.
There’s also a greater amount of choice among partners you can find here, especially for Tennessee, which makes finding exactly what you are looking for more attainable - that is, if you’re willing to put in some deliberate effort.
If you look at the total number of singles out there right now in the Nashville dating scene, you might be surprised to realize just how much opportunity is out there. Currently, Nashville has 112,000 single women and 104,000 single men, accounting for nearly 32.30% of the total population. With 1 in 3 people that you meet being an opportunity to find a partner, Nashville is the place to be if you’re single.
Now, we know what you’re thinking: If there are so many singles out there, why am I single? Sadly, the truth is that having tons of dating options doesn't mean that dating in Nashville is going to be straightforward. In fact, you’ll be dealing with some hefty competition, but a realistic outlook leads to better results. To boost your odds of success, you just need to be looking in the right places.
Where to Meet Someone to Date in Nashville
We believe in being as honest as possible to our readers - and honestly, it's near impossible to make a list of the best places to find someone to date in Nashville! There’s simply so much going on any given day.
Plus, depending on the type of person you're looking for (ie. artsy, traditional, outdoorsy, etc.), your search will take you to different neighborhoods in Nashville and venues geared towards those looking for similar types of people.
Instead, we’ll share some of the best places that make it much simpler to meet Nashville singles that are looking for more than just a one-night stand (we have a comprehensive list of suggestions on where to find Nashville hookups). These places tend to have the following six (6) criteria that make it easier to find long-term relationships:
- Plenty of singles
- Fun atmosphere
- Easy to mix and mingle with singles
- A quiet enough atmosphere to have a conversation
- Alcohol is a plus
- Relatively cheap drinks, food, and activities
In our opinion, those criteria are very useful when meeting up with other available Nashville singles. Before we get into some specific recommendations, let's quickly turn our attention to apps:
Why you should be using at least one app
Are you on at least one app right now? If not, then you're really missing out on today’s Nashville dating scene. With social distancing guidelines still in effect for many people, more singles are relying on apps to gain a competitive advantage, screen out those who don’t reach their standards and gain access to the largest amount of people.
Does this mean that dating apps in Nashville are the only way to go? Of course not, but it can be a struggle if you lead a busy life, value what’s left of your free time, and want to save some cash.
If you can’t decide on which dating app works for you, check out our rankings of the best dating apps in Nashville to give you a better sense of what apps best fit what type of partner and relationship you’re looking for. From young professionals, religious types, and those looking for a quick hookup, there are plenty of options to choose from. If you're pressed for time and don’t want to read the full article, these apps are the by far best first-choices:
- eHarmony is the best choice for long-term relationships in Nashville and features the best track record of all dating apps - try eHarmony today for a free trial. When it comes to actual results and real relationships eHarmony is by-far the best option out there right now.
- AFF is hands-down the best choice for more casual, discreet fun in Nashville - free trial, too! If you're just looking for something on the casual or physical side there isn't a better option for most, especially single guys. We've tried over 100 different options a this point and we've single people get the best results here.
After trying out 100s of dating apps, we've got a pretty decent idea of what gets results in Nashville. Check out our full rankings above for more info. Now, let's talk about our favorite spots around town.
The best singles bars in Nashville
Using the criteria above, we've narrowed down a concise list of the best singles bars in Nashville. These bars offer the best chances for men and women to meet up, have a refreshing drink (or three), and enjoy a comfortable ambiance conducive to meeting new people.
This isn't a complete list of all the bars in Nashville, just the ones that are worth trying first:
- Bar Sovereign in Sobro - 514 Rep. John Lewis Way S, Nashville, TN 37203
- Rippy’s Honky Tonk in the Arts District - 429 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203
- SandBar Nashville in West End Park - 3 City Ave Suite 500, Nashville, TN 37209
- No 308 in Five Points - 407 Gallatin Ave, Nashville, TN 37206
- Attaboy in Parkway Terrace - 8 Mcferrin Ave, Nashville, TN 37206
- Visit the Coyote Ugly Saloon if you want to meet a Nashville cougar - 154 2nd Ave N, Nashville, TN 37201
Give these a try. It’s our aim to provide plenty of options from different neighborhoods throughout Nashville’s metro area, but there are plenty of singles bars that work depending on the time of day, whether they have popular live events, or simply are the preferred choice for attractive social cliques. If you have any suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments below.
A few other great places to find a date in Nashville
Bars can be a great place to meet other Nashville singles, but there are other options that don’t rely on boozing as much. While Nashville has a reputation for getting sloshed until closing time or hitting up a popular mimosa brunch, you can get great results outside of a traditional bar setting - even during the scorching summer months and the nippy winter months.
Being open-minded and focusing on fun is an advantage in Nashville. After all, if the tried-and-true actually worked, you wouldn’t be reading this article! Don't take things too seriously and relax knowing that spending time in the following places can dramatically shift the odds in your favor:
- Anchorhead Coffee in Downtown Nashville - 150 4th Ave N G-250, Nashville, TN 37219
- Hummingbird in North Gulch - 1000 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203
- Barista Parlor in Maxwell - 519 Gallatin Ave B, Nashville, TN 37206
- Crema Coffee Roasters in Rolling Mill Hill - 15 Hermitage Ave, Nashville, TN 37210
- Kriwzera Coffee in Rutledge Hill - 601 4th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37210
- Visit Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s around town to find attractive people shopping for organic groceries!
- Meetup groups - There are tons of groups in Nashville that are full of eager singles looking to share their interests, including music, sports, and singles mixers
- Again, apps and sites are a good option for just about anyone (check out the best dating sites in Nashville here)
The Apps Dating Coaches Recommend Most For Dating in Nashville
Just because you’re a “regular guy” doesn’t mean you won’t find a date online. So many dating apps help bring people together because of genuine chemistry and not just looks. If you want to try an app like that, here are the ones where even an average Joe can find success.
Site Our Experience Our Rating Free Trial Link Experience Highlights Try eHarmony Experience Highlights Try AFF For Free Tinder Highlights Try Tinder
What about speed dating in Nashville
If you thought speed dating was just a fad, think again! Speed dating has become more and more popular ever since the beginning of the pandemic - especially for virtual speed dating by streaming video (better safe than sorry!). If you're busy and have some spare cash (events usually cost about $40 - $80 to attend), speed dating in Nashville can be a very effective way to meet between 15 to 20 other singles in the space of an hour or so.
Most speed dating events in Nashville follow the same pattern with a few variations. First, you show up after preregistering and go on a bunch of "mini-dates" lasting approximately 5 minutes. Once 5 minutes is up, the men typically move to the next table where a woman remains seated (sometimes women swap just so they don’t get tired and cranky!).
The idea is that first impressions tend to be good indicators of whether there’s a spark. As the event progresses, both participants make a list of the people they want to see again. If both singles want to see each other again, the speed dating organizer gives you the other match’s contact info (usually by the next day). Simple, no?
If this sounds like a fun and efficient way to meet new singles in Nashville, the following are the best Nashville speed dating groups worth checking out:
Now that we’ve covered the essentials, let's jump into how to have a great date in Nashville!
Our Best Date Ideas in Nashville - and Why They’re Great
Once you've met someone a special someone who said “yes” to a date, it’s time to plan a great date to develop a relationship (or discover why they’re a poor match!). Many people default to the “classic dinner and a movie” and that's a big mistake for modern dating in Nashville! Here’s why:
- A dinner date between two strangers often turns into a pseudo-interview (unless you’re REALLY skilled at conversation).
- A movie doesn’t involve any conversation, making it pretty bad if you’re stuck next to someone you don’t actually like that much.
Instead, we have a few rules that all of our date ideas in Nashville generally follow. Or, you can use these to come up with some new ideas for yourself - or at least avoid going on boring dates. A great date idea in Nashville tends to be one that:
- Doesn’t require traveling far distances
- Has a fun and lively energy
- Things are happening around you that you can talk about
- Doesn't involve you sitting face-to-face for substantial periods of time
- Requires at least some physical activity
- Isn't too expensive or requires expensive equipment
- Doesn't last for hours (you can bail if you’re not feeling it)
- Allows both of you to feel comfortable
- Has a little friendly competition
To make your date go smoother, it helps to know what your date prefers to do before the date or what you show some competency in. For example, if your date likes live performances, you can enjoy a brisk walk around Nashville to hear up-and-coming music acts. Or, if you know that your date enjoys art, hit up a Nashville street fair to look at your local community’s works.
To get you started, here are a few dating ideas in Nashville for you to try:
- Ice skating
- Take a dance class together
- Shoot some arrows at an archery range
- Go to the driving range
- Hit up the zoo or wildlife refuge
- Check out a street fair (Nashville has tons)
- Going to a farmer’s market
- Axe throwing
- Escape rooms
- Take a walk with your dog somewhere fun (if you have one)
- Painting class (preferably with some adult beverages)
- Botanical garden
This is an admittedly short list, but at least you have a good idea of where to start in Nashville. Each of the aforementioned activities is active, fun, and doesn't require any significant skill to enjoy, so there’s little to no pressure to be good at any of them. Set your expectations beforehand that you're just going to have a good time. Who doesn’t love to have a good time!?
The first date idea that we always recommend
The ideas above can be great first dates but we have a better idea. When people ask our team what the best first date in Nashville is we always tell them the same thing, meet up at a laid-back lounge or coffee shop and get to know each other a bit.
A full-blown date is a lot of pressure and isn't cheap. It takes time to plan and might involve you taking a bus around town to get there. Before you make that kind of investment you want to know that you and your interest have at least some level of compatibility. The last thing you want is to get stuck for hours on a date that you knew 10 minutes in wasn't going anywhere.
Instead, tell them that you're really busy but would love to meet up for a drink to get to know each other a bit. If things go well you can always extend the date to one of the activities above. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much. This also takes a lot of pressure off both of you so you can both relax and be yourselves.
Best Date Bars in Nashville (Especially for Fun First Dates)
Nashville is renowned for its nightlife and plenty of bars to meet singles. With a generally neutral atmosphere, bars serve as the backdrop to some fun dates in Nashville and help you find exciting new singles you may not find elsewhere.
That being said, finding a great date bar in the Nashville metro area is pretty simple when you consider just how many options you have to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a vibrant dive bar, an adult-friendly arcade, or an elegant cocktail lounge, Nashville has no shortage of great settings for your next date.
Finding a great date bar in and around the Nashville metropolitan area is pretty easy when you consider the sheer number of options you have to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a comfy dive bar with nonstop live music, a gaming arcade with adult refreshments, or a chic lounge with an atmosphere you won’t find anywhere else in the world, Nashville has no shortage of great settings for your next date.
To help you find these bars, let’s look at a mixed bag of bars that have consistently great drink specials and feature a vibrant crowd. After all, spending $30 on cocktails with a stranger can get expensive!
Here are a handful of the best date bars around Nashville:
- Headquarters Beercade Nashville in Downtown Nashville - 114 2nd Ave S, Nashville, TN 37201
- 5th & Taylor in Germantown - 1411 5th Ave N, Nashville, TN 37208
- Zeppelin Nashville Rooftop Bar in Downtown Nashville - 505 3rd Ave N, Nashville, TN 37201
- Flamingo Cocktail Club in Wedgewood-Houston - 509 Houston St, Nashville, TN 37203
- Barcelona Wine Bar in Edgehill - 1200 Villa Pl Suite 110, Nashville, TN 37212
- The Patterson House in Music Row - 1711 Division St, Nashville, TN 37203
- L27 Rooftop Lounge in The Gulch - 807 Clark Pl, Nashville, TN 37203
- The Authentique in Greenwood - 925 Gallatin Ave Suite 103, Nashville, TN 37206
Remember that Nashville has more than its fair share of hidden gems in each neighborhood that only the locals know about. Don’t be afraid to go bar hopping if the vibe isn’t right (call a Lyft or an Uber!) or be ready to bounce to keep the energy of the date going.
Best Date Night Restaurants in Nashville that Should Be Your First Choice
Here’s a little-known secret for dating in Nashville: Skip the traditional dinner date in Nashville until you’re well-acquainted with your date.
Why? Dinner dates tend to be pretty dull and formulaic, even among all of Nashville’s great places to eat. You’ll also have a tough time trying to make a connection with someone who is still a relative stranger over drinks, appetizers, desserts, and refills from waitstaff. Plus, being locked in a face-to-face conversation for around two hours in a typically loud setting means that there are plenty of opportunities for something to go awry! Even if you're an expert conversationalist, dinner dates can get a bit stale (pun intended).
However, if you’ve become acquainted with your date or just want a date night restaurant in Nashville to eat at before or after a day of fun, we've got some solid choices for you that won't cost you too much. After all, there are plenty of expensive restaurants for when you really want to impress your date!
Let’s look at date night restaurants in Nashville that offer delicious food and an inviting atmosphere that’s the perfect backdrop for a new romance:
- Peninsula in Greenwood - 1035 W Eastland Ave, Nashville, TN 37206
- Butcher & Bee in Maxwell - 902 Main St, Nashville, TN 37206
- Adele’s Nashville in The Gulch - 1210 McGavock St, Nashville, TN 37203
- Hattie B's Hot Chicken in Midtown - 112 19th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203
- Germantown Café in Germantown - 1200 5th Ave N, Nashville, TN 37208
- Merchants in the Arts District - 401 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203
- The Diner Nashville in the Art District - 200 3rd Ave S, Nashville, TN 37201
- Butchertown Hall in Germantown - 1416 4th Ave N, Nashville, TN 37208
More Date Spots in Nashville We Love
As you probably already know, the quality of your date in Nashville comes down to more than just eating food and/or imbibing some adult beverages. Nashville has plenty of things to do, so you’ll never be at a loss for activities to build rapport and create memories with your date outside of bars and restaurants.
Plenty of people have great dates at the following places in and around Nashville, and we're confident you can do the same:
- Go ice skating at Ford Ice Center
- Watch the Titans play at Nissan Stadium
- The Musicians Hall of Fame & Museum and Lane Motor Museum offer great exhibits you won’t find elsewhere in the world!
- Check out the fascinating wildlife at the Nashville Zoo
- Take a group dance lesson together at The Ballroom of Nashville
- Shoot some targets together at Music City Archery - Franklin
- Stroll through vendor booths at the many art fairs throughout Nashville
- Shop for fresh groceries and taste homemade food at the Nashville Farmers Market
- Solve a puzzle at Escape The Trap Nashville
- Catch live music at The Grand Ole Opry
It’s important to note that the time of year will make a difference with some of these Nashville recommendations (being outside for hours in the chilly winter nights and summer heat doesn't always make for a great date), so you've been warned!
Frequently Asked Questions on Dating in Nashville
Is Nashville a good city for dating?
According to statistics, there are 112,000 single women and 104,000 single men in the city so there are more than enough people to meet and potentially date.
How do I meet singles in Nashville?
The best way to meet singles in Nashville is to use dating apps, but there are also some places you can go to. It's best if you choose things like singles bars, clubs and maybe even cafes where young people tend to hang out.