Looking for waterproof shoes for men? While it may not seem like such an obvious choice for fashionable apparel, having a selection of water-resistant shoes enables you to enjoy wetter activities, enjoy better dates when you’re out and about, and feel more comfortable without having to worry about wet socks. Of course, not everyone knows what to look for in a good pair of waterproof shoes - and that’s why BeyondAges has you covered (pun intended)!
In this guide, we will take a look at what you should know about water-resistant shoes, why you need waterproof shoes, and some of the best waterproof shoes for men.
The Best Waterproof Shoes for Men
Shoes are absolutely must-have apparel for all men, so let’s cover everything you need to know:
Why do men need waterproof shoes?
Waterproof shoes are a good choice for any activity that involves exposure to wet or damp conditions. There are several advantages of wearing waterproof shoes, including:
- Protection from water: Waterproof shoes keep your feet dry and protect them from rain, snow, puddles, and other wet conditions.
- Comfort: Wet feet are never fun. Then add blisters and even infections like athlete’s foot. Waterproof shoes provide a comfortable and dry environment for your feet.
- Durability: Waterproof shoes are typically made from durable materials that can withstand wear and tear caused by exposure to water and other elements.
- Versatility: Waterproof shoes are suitable for a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, camping, fishing, and other water-based sports.
- Breathability: Many waterproof shoes are designed with breathable materials that allow your feet to stay cool and dry, even in warm weather conditions.
- Easy to clean: Waterproof shoes are generally easy to clean and maintain, making them a practical choice for outdoor enthusiasts and people who work in wet or muddy conditions.
- Improved traction: Many waterproof shoes feature non-slip soles that provide improved traction and stability, reducing the risk of slips and falls in wet or slippery conditions - especially if your work environment comes with being out in the elements or being exposed to standing water.
- Protection from debris: Waterproof shoes also provide protection from debris, such as mud, dirt, and rocks, which can easily get into regular shoes and cause discomfort or injury.
Dating Activities that Require Waterproof Shoes
If you're planning a date that involves exposure to wet or damp conditions, waterproof shoes can be a good choice to keep your feet dry and comfortable. Plus, you’ll feel more confident and comfortable without having soggy feet or ruining your non-water-resistant shoes.
Not convinced you’ll need a few pairs of waterproof shoes? To show you why they’re so important for your dating life, here are ten dating activities that definitely require waterproof shoes:
- Hiking in the rain: A romantic hike through a forest or along a trail can be even more special in the rain, but you'll want to have waterproof shoes to keep your feet dry. And as an added bonus, you can look like the hero when you carry her on your back over streams and puddles (or take her to a secluded spot).
- Visiting a waterfall: A visit to a waterfall can be a beautiful and romantic date, but be prepared to get wet, especially if you plan to walk behind the falls.
- Beach walks: Walking on the beach can be a great date idea, but be prepared for wet sand, surf, and possibly even rain.
- Outdoor concerts: Many outdoor concerts take place rain or shine, and you'll want to have waterproof shoes to keep your feet dry while enjoying the music.
- Outdoor festivals: Many outdoor festivals, such as food, music, or art events, take place rain or shine, and waterproof shoes can be a must-have to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
- Canoeing or kayaking: A romantic paddle on a lake or river can be a great date, but be prepared to get wet, especially if you're a beginner. This is especially true if you’re paddleboarding or water bicycling.
- Fishing: If you and your date enjoy fishing, waterproof shoes can help keep your feet dry and comfortable while you wait for a bite (And you can keep this pair of shoes as a backup so you don’t smell like fish and saltwater all day).
- Picnics in the park: A romantic picnic in the park can be a great date, but be prepared for wet grass, mud, or damp ground.
- Visiting a water park: A visit to a water park can be a fun and playful date, but you'll want to have waterproof shoes to keep your feet comfortable in the water. After all, no one looks like they’re having fun with squishy shoes that are bound to be ruined…
These are just a few ideas for dating activities that may require waterproof shoes. Be creative and have fun, while also keeping your feet dry and comfortable in any wet conditions with waterproof shoes.
Tips on How to Select a Good Pair of Waterproof Shoes
Selecting a good pair of waterproof shoes can be a great investment, especially if you plan to use them in wet or muddy conditions. Here are some tips to help you choose a good pair of waterproof shoes:
Look for the waterproof rating
The waterproof rating of shoes indicates how well they can keep your feet dry in different levels of moisture. The most common rating is the IPX rating, which ranges from IPX0 (no protection against water) to IPX8 (protection against complete submersion). Look for shoes with a high IPX rating, ideally IPX7 or higher, to ensure maximum waterproof protection.
Choose the right material
The material of the shoes plays a crucial role in their waterproofing capabilities. Gore-Tex, eVent, and OutDry are some of the most popular waterproof materials used in shoes. Gore-Tex is a breathable fabric that allows sweat to escape while keeping water out, whereas eVent is highly breathable and works well in warm, wet conditions. OutDry is a waterproof membrane that is bonded directly to the shoe's upper, providing excellent waterproof protection.
Look for seam-sealed construction
Shoes with seam-sealed construction have their seams taped or sealed to prevent water from seeping in. This is an important feature to look for in the best waterproof work shoe, as contaminated water can easily seep in through the seams if you’re ankle-deep.
Choose the right sole
The sole of the shoe should have a good grip on wet surfaces, especially if you plan to use them in slippery conditions. Look for shoes with rubber soles that have a good tread pattern for maximum grip.
Check for breathability
While you want your shoes to be waterproof, you also want them to be breathable to prevent your feet from getting sweaty and uncomfortable. Look for shoes with breathable materials or ventilation features that allow air to circulate. Some waterproof shoes are so waterproof that they’re not meant to wear the entire day, as this increases the risk of foot fungus, growth, bacteria, and bad smells.
Consider the fit
Ensure that the shoes fit well and are comfortable to wear. Waterproof shoes tend to be stiffer than regular shoes, so make sure you choose a pair that provides good support and cushioning. Also, you may want to consider which seasons you’ll be using the shoes and how thick your socks will be. In the winter, you may bulk up with thick wool socks, which can be uncomfortable with thinner socks in the summer months (and vice versa).
Get multiple pairs
Not all waterproof shoes are right for every occasion. Consider purchasing a variety of waterproof shoes - some for hiking that are “water-resistant” (but not completely waterproof) and some that are completely waterproof (for enjoying a waterpark or the beach).
Take a look at negative customer reviews
When deciding between different pairs of waterproof shoes, pay attention to online reviews from Amazon and other online retailers. Of course, it’s easy to disregard the glowing reviews as “paid advertising”, but the 1-star reviews tend to tell you the truth about the reality of wearing the shoes. If you notice a trend in certain shoes, like their durability after a few months of wearing them, you may want to invest your hard-earned cash elsewhere.
Try them on
Despite all of the aforementioned criteria, you’ll never really know how the shoes actually feel until you’ve tried them on. Even if you decide to purchase your shoes online, visit a shoe store or be prepared to ship them back if you’re not satisfied until you find what you’re looking for (review the return policy beforehand, of course).
By following these tips, you can select a good pair of waterproof shoes that will keep your feet dry and comfortable in wet conditions.
The Best Waterproof Shoes for Men
There are many great waterproof shoes for men on the market, and the best option for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Here are some popular and highly-rated waterproof shoes for men that are worth considering:
Let's start with a pair that you can wear to work and on a fancy date. Even if you live in a rainy city, this pair of comfortable yet dressy shoes will get you through the day. Wear it with jeans, chinos, or a suit for a classy yet practical outfit.
These hiking shoes feature a Gore-Tex waterproof and breathable membrane, along with a Contagrip outsole for excellent grip on wet terrain. They are also lightweight and comfortable for all-day wear.
These hiking shoes have a seam-sealed construction and an Omni-Tech waterproof breathable membrane. They also have a durable and supportive design, making them a great option for hiking in wet conditions.
Among the best waterproof work shoes out there, these Timberlands are made with a durable ripstop nylon upper and feature a waterproof membrane to keep your feet dry. They also have alloy safety toes to protect your feet from impact, as well as slip-resistant outsoles for traction on wet surfaces. Additionally, the shoes have an antimicrobial treatment to prevent odors and a breathable lining for comfort.
These shoes are made with waterproof nubuck leather and mesh upper to keep your feet dry and comfortable. They feature a steel safety toe for protection and have slip-resistant outsoles for traction on wet surfaces. The shoes also have a moisture-wicking lining to keep your feet dry and prevent odors, as well as a metatomical footbed for support and cushioning.
These hiking shoes feature a waterproof membrane and durable leather and mesh upper. They also have a Vibram outsole for good traction and a comfortable design for all-day wear.
These hiking boots have a seam-sealed waterproof construction and a full-grain waterproof leather upper. They also have a durable design with a rubber outsole for good traction on wet surfaces.
These are just a few of the many great waterproof shoes for men on the market. When choosing the best waterproof shoes for you, consider your specific needs and preferences, such as the type of activity you'll be doing, the level of waterproofing required, and the style and fit that you prefer.