Dating in El Paso is a challenge, though not that much more of a challenge compared to other cities in Texas. For singles here, there is no shortage of attractive singles that you can find around town. However, actually meeting new singles and having better dates is still pretty tough in El Paso’s post-pandemic dating scene.
Is there any good news for those that haven’t found a date in El Paso? Yes, with just a little effort on your part, finding a date in El Paso is actually much easier than in comparably-sized cities. The only catch is that you will have to venture out from your neighborhood to explore the vast El Paso dating scene and take a chance. While it may seem scary to scope out new bars or experience an unfamiliar setting with a new person in your life, the end justifies the means!
In this in-depth guide from our team of dating coaches, you will learn some of the best suggestions on where to meet El Paso singles, great date ideas in the city to help you find your bearings, and some of our favorite date spots around El Paso that have been the backdrop for some successful dates.
Table of Contents
What Dating in El Paso Is Like Right Now
So, what is the El Paso dating scene currently like?
In all honesty, the dating scene in El Paso has always been pretty turbulent and the constraints of the pandemic have made interaction that much worse. Despite this, El Paso boasts plenty of great outdoor opportunities, the proximity to Mexico, a diverse set of industries, and a cost of living that’s below comparable cities in Texas, like Austin or Houston. With so many big business and governmental entities here like the ADP, Charles Schwab, ECM International, and more, new people are constantly moving to El Paso for its opportunities.
If you look at the total number of singles out there right now in the El Paso dating scene, you might be surprised to realize just how much opportunity is out there. Let’s look at the stats:
- Total population: 692,100
- Percentage single: 28.40%
- Total singles: 196,556
- Single men: 86,474
- Single women: 110,082
With nearly 28% of the total population looking for a partner, chances are that you’ll be able to choose from a diverse set of people in this cosmopolitan city.
If there are so many singles in El Paso, then you may ask: Why am I single? Sadly, the truth is that having tons of dating options is useless until you’re actively looking in the right places.
Where to Meet Someone to Date in El Paso
We believe in being as honest as possible to our readers - and honestly, it's near impossible to make a list of the best places to find someone to date in El Paso! There’s simply too much to choose from in El Paso on any given day.
To make things ever more difficult, depending on the type of person you're looking for (ie. artsy, academic, outdoorsy, etc.), your search will take you to different neighborhoods in El Paso and places geared towards those looking for the same types of people.
Instead, we’ll share some of the best places that make it much simpler to meet El Paso singles that are looking for something more than a one-night stand (we have a comprehensive list of places to find El Paso hookups if that’s your endgame). These are places that tend to have the following criteria for finding serious relationships:
- Plenty of singles
- An atmosphere geared towards fun and excitement
- Easy to mingle with new people
- Quiet enough to actually have a conversation
- Alcohol is certainly a plus
- Relatively cheap and inexpensive
Now, before we get into some specific recommendations, let's quickly turn our attention to apps:
Why you should be using at least one app
If you want to fully unlock the power of El Paso’s dating scene, then you have to be on at least one app, right now. With social distancing guidelines still in effect for many people, more singles are relying on apps to screen out those who don’t reach their standards - all without ever saying hello in person.
Does this mean that dating apps in El Paso are the only way to go? Of course not, but it can be a struggle if you lead a busy life, value your free time, and want to save on spending your hard-earned cash.
If you've struggled in the past with choosing which app works for you, check out our rankings of the best dating apps in El Paso to give you a better sense of what apps best fit what type of partner and relationship you’re looking for. From young professionals, religious types, and those looking for a quick hookup, there are plenty of options to choose from.
If you don’t have the time to read the full article, these apps are the best first choices:
- eHarmony (which you can try free) is the best option for relationships in El Paso and experience the best track record among all long-term dating apps. Out of all the options out there, the majority of marriages and successful long-term relationships start here. If you want chemistry this is where you go.
- AFF will be your best choice when it comes to finding casual fun in El Paso and the surrounding metropolitan area - comes with a free trial, too! We've tried a lot of options (over 100 at this point) and it's been the easiest way for most regular guys to find success casually.
After trying out 100s of dating apps, we understand which apps are actually working in the “real” world. Check out our full rankings above for more info. Now, let's talk about our favorite spots around the city.
The best singles bars in El Paso
Using the aforementioned criteria, we've compiled a list of the best singles bars in El Paso. These bars offer the best chances for singles to interact, have a drink or two, and enjoy a comfortable ambiance conducive to meeting new people.
This isn't a complete list of all top-rated bars in El Paso, but it is a list of the ones that are likely to bring you closer to success:
- Hope and Anchor in Ridgecrest - 4012 N Mesa St, El Paso, TX 79902
- Dillinger's Bar in Downtown El Paso - 303 E Franklin Ave, El Paso, TX 79901
- The Dome Bar in Downtown El Paso - 10 Henry Trost Ct, El Paso, TX 79901
- Hideway Lounge in Eucalyptus - Willow St, El Paso, TX 79901
- Coconuts in Five Points East - 816 N Piedras St, El Paso, TX 79903
- Visit Circa 1963 if you want to meet an El Paso cougar - 325 N Kansas St, El Paso, TX 79901
It’s our aim to provide plenty of choices from different neighborhoods throughout El Paso’s vast metropolitan area, but there are plenty of singles bars that also are viable choices depending on the time of day (happy hour, especially!), whether they have popular live events, or simply are the preferred choice for different age groups. If you have any suggestions about the best singles bars in El Paso, drop a comment below.
A few other great places to find a date in El Paso
Not everyone loves to get hammered at the local watering hole (hangovers are NOT fun). Bars can be a great place to meet other El Paso singles, but there are other options that don’t rely on drinking as much. While El Paso has a reputation for drinking until closing time or hitting up a boozy mimosa brunch, you can still get great results outside of a traditional bar setting - even during the scorching summer months and the frigid winter months.
Take a look at a few more options for men and women in El Paso. As with anything dating-related in El Paso, it certainly helps to be open-minded about where you spend your time. Don't take things too seriously, and just focus on having a good time. Given enough time, you’re more likely to meet someone that you might not run into elsewhere in El Paso:
- Café Con Leche in Five Points West - 2430 Wyoming Ave, El Paso, TX 79901
- Caffe Fioretti in Five Points East - 3429 Montana Ave, El Paso, TX 79903
- Vyable Coffee in Sunset Heights - 100 Porfirio Diaz St, El Paso, TX 79902
- 2TEN Coffee Roasters in Montecillo - 4935 N Mesa St Suite 4, El Paso, TX 79912
- Whole Foods and Sprout’s Natural Market are great places to cross paths with, attractive people shopping for upscale groceries!
- Meetup groups - There are lots of groups in El Paso that feature eager singles looking to share their interests throughout the city
- Again, apps and sites are a good option for just about anyone (check out the best dating sites in El Paso here)
The Apps Dating Coaches Recommend Most For Dating in El Paso
These days, you can’t blame women for wanting to use dating apps to find dates instead of going out to some bar or club. That’s why you should also be using at least one of the dating apps below. You never know who you could be missing out on if you don’t try these dating apps!
Site Our Experience Our Rating Free Trial Link Experience Highlights Try eHarmony Experience Highlights Try AFF For Free Tinder Highlights Try Tinder
What about speed dating in El Paso
Ever tried speed dating in El Paso? Speed dating has become a lot more popular ever since the beginning of the pandemic - especially for virtual speed dating via streaming (better safe than sorry!).
If you're busy and have some spare cash (events usually cost about $40 - $80 to attend), speed dating in El Paso can be a very effective way to meet between 15 to 20 other singles in the space of an hour or so.
Most speed dating events in El Paso follow the same pattern with a few variations:
- First, you show up after preregistering and go on a bunch of "mini-dates" lasting approximately 5 minutes.
- Once 5 minutes is up, the men typically move to the next table where a woman remains seated (sometimes women swap just so they don’t get tired).
- This process repeats until the entire event elapses or until everyone gets a chance to meet one another.
The idea is that first impressions tend to be good indicators of whether there’s a spark. As the event progresses, both participants make a list of the people they want to see again. If both singles want to see each other again, the speed dating organizer gives you the other match’s contact info (usually by the next day). Simple, no?
If this sounds like a fun and efficient way to meet new singles in El Paso, the following are the best El Paso speed dating groups worth checking out:
Now that we’ve covered the essentials, let's jump into how to have a great date in El Paso!
Our Best Date Ideas in El Paso - and Why They’re Great
Now that you've met someone, the next step is to plan a great date and develop a relationship (or discover why you’re both incompatible!). Many people default to the “classic dinner and a movie” idea and that's a big mistake for modern dating in El Paso! Here are a few reasons why:
- A dinner date between two strangers often turns into a pseudo-interview (unless you’re REALLY skilled at conversation). Eating makes people lethargic, so people good luck keeping up energy until you’ve actually digested your food and drinks.
- A movie doesn’t involve any conversation, making it pretty bad if you’re stuck next to someone you don’t actually like that much. Plus, sitting for a few hours also brings energy levels down.
Instead, we have a few rules that all of our date ideas in El Paso generally follow. You can also use these as a guide for your own ideas. A great date idea in El Paso tends to be one that:
- Doesn’t require traveling far distances
- Has a fun and lively energy
- Things are happening around you that you can talk about
- Doesn't involve you sitting face-to-face for a long time
- Requires at least some physical activity or moving
- Isn't too expensive or requires expensive equipment to participate
- Doesn't last for hours (you can bail if you’re not feeling it)
- Allows both of you to feel comfortable
- Has a little friendly competition
It helps to know what your date prefers to do before the date. For example, if your date likes hiking, you can enjoy a brisk walk at a park or explore your city. Or, if you know that your date enjoys art, hitting up a street fair to look up your local community’s works is a solid choice.
To get you started, here are a few dating ideas in El Paso for you to explore:
- Ice skating
- Take a dance class together
- Shoot some arrows at an archery range
- Go to the driving range
- Hit up the zoo or wildlife refuge
- Check out a street fair (El Paso has tons)
- Going to a farmer’s market
- Axe throwing
- Escape rooms
- Take a walk with your dog somewhere fun (if you have one)
- Painting class (preferably with some adult beverages)
- Botanical garden
These should give you an idea of what to do and where to start in El Paso. Each of the aforementioned activities is active, fun, and doesn't require any athletic skill to enjoy, so there’s little to no pressure to be good at any of them. Set your expectations ahead of time that the goal is just to have a fun time together.
The first date idea that we always recommend
The ideas above can be great first dates but we have a better idea. When people ask our team what the best first date in El Paso is we always tell them the same thing, meet up at a laid-back lounge or coffee shop and get to know each other a bit.
A full-blown date is a lot of pressure and isn't cheap. It takes time to plan and might involve you taking a bus around town to get there. Before you make that kind of investment you want to know that you and your interest have at least some level of compatibility. The last thing you want is to get stuck for hours on a date that you knew 10 minutes in wasn't going anywhere.
Instead, tell them that you're really busy but would love to meet up for a drink to get to know each other a bit. If things go well you can always extend the date to one of the activities above. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much. This also takes a lot of pressure off both of you so you can both relax and be yourselves.
Best Date Bars in El Paso (Especially for Fun First Dates)
El Paso is renowned for its nightlife and plenty of bars. With a generally neutral atmosphere, bars serve as the backdrop to some fun dates in El Paso and help you find exciting new singles.
That being said, finding a great date bar in the El Paso metropolitan area is pretty simple when you consider just how many options you have to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a dive bar that’s been around for years or an elegant cocktail lounge, El Paso has no shortage of great settings for your next date.
To help you find these bars, we’ll give you a list of bars that have great drink specials, feature an upbeat crowd, and won’t make you go bankrupt. After all, no one wants to spend $30 on drinks for two when you’re not even sure if you like your date yet!
Here are a handful of the best date bars around El Paso:
- Rubiks Arcade Bar in Ridgecrest - 4025 N Mesa St, El Paso, TX 79902
- Montrae Lounge in Cork - 9606 Montana Ave, El Paso, TX 79925
- Chit Chat Bar & Lounge in Logan Heights - 4808 Dyer St, El Paso, TX 79930
- The Berkeley Cocktail Lounge in Downtown El Paso - 317 E Mills Ave, El Paso, TX 79901
- The Jockey Lounge and Restaurant in El Centro - 418 S Santa Fe St, El Paso, TX 79901
- G2 Geogeske in Rim-University - 2701 N Stanton St, El Paso, TX 79902
- King’s X Bar in Ridgecrest- 4119 N Mesa St, El Paso, TX 79902
Remember that El Paso has more than its fair share of hidden gems in each neighborhood that only a select few know about. With this in mind, don’t be afraid to barhop if the vibe isn’t right (call a Lyft or an Uber!).
Best Date Night Restaurants in El Paso that Should Be Your First Choice
Here’s a little-known secret for dating in El Paso: Skip the traditional dinner date in El Paso until you’re well-acquainted with your date.
Why? Dinner dates tend to be pretty dull and formulaic, even among all of El Paso’s great places to eat. You’ll also have a tough time trying to make a connection with someone who is still a relative stranger over dinner.
Plus, if you experience bad service, it can really cast a shadow on the rest of the date. Even if you're an expert conversationalist, dinner dates can get a bit stale (pun intended).
However, if you’ve become acquainted with your date or just want a date night restaurant in El Paso to eat at before or after a day of fun, we've got some solid choices for you that won't cost you too much. After all, there are plenty of expensive restaurants for when you really want to impress your date!
Let’s look at date night restaurants in El Paso that offer delicious food and an inviting atmosphere that’s the perfect backdrop for a new romance:
- Malolam in Mission Hills North - 4935 N Mesa St Suite 2, El Paso, TX 79912
- Angry Owl Southwest Grill & Cantina in Mission Hills North - 4799 N Mesa St, El Paso, TX 79912
- Rulis' International Kitchen in Ridgecrest - 4176 N Mesa St, El Paso, TX 79902
- Sabertooth Food Co. in Mission Hills South - 4006 N Mesa St, El Paso, TX 79902
- Gonzalos G & R Restaurant in El Paso High - 401 E Nevada Ave, El Paso, TX 79902
- Monteleone's Ristorante in Five Points East - 3023 Gateway Blvd W, El Paso, TX 79903
- Los Bandidos De Carlos & Mickey's in Timberwolf - 1310 Magruder St, El Paso, TX 79925
- Cafe Central in Downtown El Paso - 109 N Oregon St, El Paso, TX 79901
More Date Spots in El Paso We Love
The quality of your date comes down to more than just eating and drinking. With all that El Paso has to offer, there’s no shortage of activities to create memories and have fun with your date. Plenty of singles have great dates at the following date spots in Washington DC and we're absolutely certain you can do the same:
- Go hiking at the Billy Rogers Arroyo
- Take a day trip over the border to Ciudad Juarez (bring your passport!)
- The Crystal Mine Museum and the International Museum of Art offer great exhibits and events year-round
- Check out some fascinating wildlife at the El Paso Zoo and Botanical Gardens
- Try a group dance lesson together at Shundo Ballroom Dance Studio
- Check out the amusements at Monkey Rock
- Stroll through vendor booths at the many art fairs throughout El Paso
- Shop for fresh groceries and taste homemade food at El Paso’s many Farmers Markets
- Solve a puzzle at Red Door Escape Room
- Catch live music and other live events at the Don Haskins Center
It’s important to note that the time of year will make a difference with some of these El Paso date recommendations (being outside for hours in the chilly winter nights and summer heat doesn't always make for a great date), so you've been warned!