Single people are spoiled for choice in Oklahoma City and the outer suburbs when it comes to finding attractive singles - however, it’s actually meeting new people that’s the issue. With the rise of digitization and the realities of the pandemic, the current dating scene in Oklahoma City leaves a lot to be desired. But having fun while dating in Oklahoma City is not impossible.
Is there a solution to these problems that many men and women experience? Yes, with just a little effort, finding a date in Oklahoma City is actually much easier than in other cities. What’s the catch? You’ll probably need to try new approaches to dating in Oklahoma City, like leaving your neighborhood, scouting out new venues, and being patient. Taking a trip out to an unfamiliar bar or museum doesn't exactly sound like the start of a great romance, but you would be surprised at the results!
In this in-depth guide, we'll provide some of the most proven suggestions on where to meet Oklahoma City singles, great date ideas throughout the metropolitan area, and some of our favorite date spots around Oklahoma City that have been the backdrop to some successful dates!
Table of Contents
What Dating in Oklahoma City Is Like Right Now
To begin, let's look at an overview of the Oklahoma City dating scene:
First, many young singles choose Oklahoma City for its proximity to great outdoor recreation, a diverse group of industries that makes the city a great way to start a career, and a cost of living that’s below comparable cities throughout the United States. With so many big business and governmental entities here like the Imperial, Love’s Travel Stops, and the Department of Defense, new people are constantly moving to Oklahoma City for its economic opportunities.
There is also quite a bit of diversity in the type of partners you can find here, especially for typically-homogenous Oklahoma, so searching for exactly what you are looking for is easier - that is, if you’re willing to put in the effort.
If you look at the total number of singles out there right now in the Oklahoma City dating scene, you might be surprised to realize just how much opportunity is out there. Currently, Oklahoma City has 105,000 single women and 99,400 single men, accounting for nearly 31.40% of the total population. That's a LOT of singles out there, and you only need to find the right one to get the ball rolling.
Now, we know what you’re thinking: If there are so many singles out there, why am I so darn single? The truth is that having tons of dating options doesn't mean that dating in Oklahoma City is going to be easy. Remember, we’re still in the middle of a pandemic and a recession seems likely, so a realistic outlook and expectations should be encouraging.
Where to Meet Someone to Date in Oklahoma City
We believe in absolute honesty - and honestly, it's darn near impossible to make a list of the best places to find someone to date in Oklahoma City. There’s just so much to consider on any given day. And depending on the type of person you're looking for (ie. artsy, traditional, outdoorsy, etc.), your search will take you to different neighborhoods in Oklahoma City and venues geared towards similar things.
Instead, I'll share some of the best places that make it much simpler to meet Oklahoma City singles that are looking for something more serious (we have a list of suggestions on where to find Oklahoma City hookups if you’re into that sorta thing). These places tend to have the following criteria in common for finding serious relationships in Oklahoma City:
- Lots of singles looking for love
- A fun, easy-going atmosphere
- Easy to mix and mingle with singles
- Quiet enough to actually have a conversation
- Alcohol is a plus
- Relatively cheap drinks, food, and activities
Now, before we get into some specific recommendations, let's quickly turn our attention to apps:
Why you should be using at least one app
If you don’t want to miss out on an opportunity in Oklahoma city’s dating scene, then you should be on at least one app. With all the social distancing guidelines that have happened over the past few years, more people are relying on apps to gain a competitive advantage. What makes it worse is that a lot of people are ONLY using apps to meet people.
Are dating apps the only way to go? Not entirely, but it can be a real struggle if you have a busy life and value your available free time.
If you've struggled in the past with choosing which app works for you, check out our rankings of the best dating apps in Oklahoma City. This article will give you a sense of what dating apps are the best fit for the type of partner and relationship you’re looking for. From professional people, short-term hookups, or just those looking for the most compatible option they can find, there are a lot of options that have their own unique user base.
If you're too lazy to read the full article, basically, these apps are the best first choice:
- eHarmony (which you can try free) is the best option for relationships (they have the best track record of all apps). If you want a long-term relationship you need to try out eHarmony first.
- AFF is best for more casual fun (unless you are incredibly attractive) - free trial, too! After trying out 100+ different apps and sites we can say that AFF tends to give the best results to singles, especially single guys, who just want something casual and fun.
After trying out dozens of the most popular dating apps in Oklahoma City, we've got a pretty decent idea of what's working out in the “real” world. Be sure to review our full rankings above for more info. Now, let's talk about our favorite spots around the city.
The best singles bars in Oklahoma City
Using the criteria outlined in the previous section, we've narrowed down our list of the best bars in Oklahoma City for singles. These bars offer the best chances for men and women to meet up, have a refreshing drink (or three), and enjoy the ambiance.
This isn't a complete list of all the bars in Oklahoma City, just the ones that make the most sense to try first:
- James E. McNellie's Pub - 1100 Classen Dr, Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- JJ's Alley in Bricktown - 212 E Sheridan Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73104
- The Bunker Club in Mesta Park - 433 NW 23rd St, Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- The Pump Bar in Paseo - 2425 N Walker Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- Alibi's in Youngs-Englewood - 1200 N Pennsylvania Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73107
- Groovy’s in Belle Isle West is your best bet if you want to meet an Oklahoma City cougar - 5705 Mosteller Dr, Oklahoma City, OK 73112
Start with these and then see where you get the best results. It’s our goal to provide you with plenty of options from all of the best neighborhoods in Oklahoma City. You should also know that there are plenty of bars that work depending on the time of day (ie. happy hour, ladies' night), whether they have live events, or simply are the preferred choice for attractive people. If you have any suggestions for Oklahoma bars you think we missed, feel free to leave them in the comments below.
A few other great places to find a date in Oklahoma City
Not everyone loves going out to the local watering hole. Bars can be a great place to meet other Oklahoma City singles, but there are plenty of other places that don’t focus on the booze so much. While Oklahoma City has a reputation for going out for drinks, you can still get great results outside of bars - even during the hot summers and the brief-but-chilly winter frost.
Being open-minded and focusing on fun is a certain advantage when looking for a date in Oklahoma City. Just take things lightly and give yourself the mental space to relax, knowing that spending time in the following places can dramatically improve success:
- Lamppost Lounge in Classen-Ten-Penn - 919 N Virginia Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73106
- Aria’s in Downtown OKC - 1 N Broadway Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102
- Red Piano Lounge in Downtown OKC - One Park Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102
- Elemental Coffee in SOSA - 815 N Hudson Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73102
- Prelude Coffee Roasters in SOSA - 3 NE 8th St Suite 210, Oklahoma City, OK 73104
- Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s are all great ideas to meet OKC singles. Trust us, attractive people shop upscale and organic!
- Meetup groups - There are tons of groups that are full of eager singles looking to share their interests, including music, tech, sports, and even singles mixers
- Again, apps and sites are a good option for just about anyone (check out the best dating sites in Oklahoma City here)
The Apps Dating Coaches Recommend Most For Dating in Oklahoma City
Just because you’re a “regular guy” doesn’t mean you won’t find a date online. So many dating apps help bring people together because of genuine chemistry and not just looks. If you want to try an app like that, here are the ones where even an average Joe can find success.
Site Our Experience Our Rating Free Trial Link Experience Highlights Try eHarmony Experience Highlights Try AFF For Free Tinder Highlights Try Tinder
What about speed dating in Oklahoma City
It may not be a romantic thought, but dating is a numbers game. The more people you meet, the greater the chances that someone will eventually say yes to a date. That’s why speed dating in Oklahoma City is such a great idea.
If you lead a busy life and don’t mind a little awkwardness, speed dating can be a very effective and efficient way to meet between 15 to 20 other singles in the space of an hour or so. Best of all, you won’t pay more than what you would on a single date. How’s that for a discount?
Most speed dating events follow the same general pattern. First, you show up and go on a bunch of "mini-dates" over the course of 5 minutes or so. Once the time is up, the men get up and move to the next table where a woman is seated. The idea is that first impressions tend to be a good indicator of whether you have any chemistry. As the event progresses, you make a list of the people you want to see again. If both people match and indicate that they want to see each other again, the organizer gives you the other match’s contact info (usually by the next day or sooner).
Pretty simple process, right? If this sounds like it’s worth your time, the following are the best Oklahoma City speed dating groups worth checking out:
Now that we’ve covered the essentials, let's jump into how to have a great date!
Our Best Date Ideas in Oklahoma City - and Why They’re Great
Once you've met someone, it’s time to plan a great date to develop a relationship (or learn why they’re a bad choice!). Many people default to the “classic dinner and a movie” and that's a big mistake for modern dating in Oklahoma City! Here’s why:
- A dinner date between two people who just met often turns into a pseudo-interview.
- And a movie doesn’t require any conversation, making it pretty bad if you’re with someone you’re not actually liking that much.
Instead, we have a few rules that all of our date ideas in Oklahoma City generally follow. You can also use these to come up with some new ideas - or at least avoid going on boring dates. A great date idea in Oklahoma City tends to be one that:
- Doesn’t require too much travel
- Has a fun, upbeat, no-pressure energy
- There are plenty of things happening around you that make for good conversational fodder
- Minimal face-to-face for long periods of time
- Both of you are moving around
- Isn't too hard on your wallet
- Doesn't last for hours and hours (you can cut it short if there isn't any chemistry)
- Allows both of you to feel comfortable
- Has a little friendly competition
To make your date go smoother, it helps to know what your date prefers to do before the date or what you show some competency in. For example, if your date is a foodie, you can enjoy a brisk walk around Oklahoma City’s many farmer's markets to sample fresh produce and homemade goods. Or, if you know that your date enjoys some physical activity, enjoying an hour at the driving range is a guaranteed fun time.
To get you started, here are a few dating ideas in Oklahoma City for you to try:
- Ice skating
- Take a dance class together
- Shoot some arrows at an archery range
- Go to the driving range
- Hit up the zoo or wildlife refuge
- Check out a street fair (Oklahoma City has tons)
- Going to a farmer’s market
- Axe throwing
- Escape rooms
- Take a walk with your dog somewhere fun (if you have one)
- Painting class (preferably with some adult beverages)
- Botanical garden
This is a pretty short list, but this gives you an idea of where to start in Oklahoma City. All of these activities are somewhat active, fun, and don't require any significant skill to enjoy, so there’s little to no pressure to be good at any of them. Set your expectations beforehand that you're just going to have fun and fool around. Who doesn’t love to fool around!?
The first date idea that we always recommend
The ideas above can be great first dates but we have a better idea. When people ask our team what the best first date in Oklahoma City is we always tell them the same thing, meet up at a laid-back lounge or coffee shop and get to know each other a bit.
A full-blown date is a lot of pressure and isn't cheap. It takes time to plan and might involve you taking a bus around town to get there. Before you make that kind of investment you want to know that you and your interest have at least some level of compatibility. The last thing you want is to get stuck for hours on a date that you knew 10 minutes in wasn't going anywhere.
Instead, tell them that you're really busy but would love to meet up for a drink to get to know each other a bit. If things go well you can always extend the date to one of the activities above. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much. This also takes a lot of pressure off both of you so you can both relax and be yourselves.
Best Date Bars in Oklahoma City (Especially for Fun First Dates)
Going out to bars in Oklahoma City is a great way for singles to relax from the workday and drop their inhibitions over a couple of drinks. With a generally “neutral” atmosphere, bars serve as a backdrop to fun dates in Oklahoma City and help you meet exciting new singles you may not find anywhere else.
Finding a great date bar in and around Oklahoma City is pretty easy given that you have plenty of options. Whether you’re looking for a comfy dive bar or a refined atmosphere with attention to detail, Oklahoma City has no shortage of great settings for your next date.
To help you find these bars, let’s take a look at the following bars that have consistently great drink specials and feature a vibrant crowd. After all, spending a couple of dollars on cocktails with a stranger can get expensive!
Here are a handful of the best date bars around Oklahoma City:
- Gamers Arcade Bar in Bricktown - 409 Kings Of Leon Ln, Oklahoma City, OK 73104
- Pretty Please Social Room in Bricktown - 104 Flaming Lips Alley, Oklahoma City, OK 73104
- Sipango Lounge in Uptown OKC - 4301 N Western Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73118
- The Tree Lounge in Capitol View - 203 NE 36th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73105
- Stag Lounge in Bricktown - 228 NE 2nd St, Oklahoma City, OK 73104
- Saint's Bar & Lounge - 1715 NW 16th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73106
- Session Hookah Lounge in Forest View - 3500 Interstate 35 Service Rd, Oklahoma City, OK 73121
Remember that each neighborhood in Oklahoma City has its share of hidden gems that only the locals hang out at or new bars that only the hippest and savvy know about. Don’t be afraid to go bar hopping if the vibe isn’t right (call an Uber!) or be ready to bounce just to keep up the excitement of the date going.
Best Date Night Restaurants in Oklahoma City that Should Be Your First Choice
When it comes to the first few dates in Oklahoma City, we tend to recommend avoiding a traditional dinner date around town until you’ve become acquainted with your date.
In practice, dinner dates are not really the most ideal setting to establish a real connection with a relative stranger - being locked in a face-to-face conversation over the clatter of dishes, deciding who should pay for what, and keeping up a conversation in-between mouthfuls of food means plenty of opportunities for something to go wrong! Even the best conversationalists know better!
Nevertheless, if you’re up to the challenge and feel you’ve got some rapport with your date before doing something more conducive to fun, we've got some solid choices that won't break the bank. After all, there are plenty of expensive restaurants throughout Oklahoma City that are around each corner!
Let’s look at date night restaurants in Oklahoma City that offer delicious food and an inviting atmosphere that’ll serve as the perfect setting for a new romance:
- The Melting Pot in Bricktown - 4 E Sheridan Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73104
- Cheever’s Cafe in Jefferson Park - 2409 N Hudson Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- Mary Eddy's Dining Room in Downtown OKC - 900 W Main St, Oklahoma City, OK 73106
- Stella Modern Italian Cuisine in Downtown OKC - 1201 N Walker Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- Café Cuvée in SOSA - First Floor of Ambassador Hotel, 1200 N Walker Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- Packard’s in SOSA - 201 NW 10th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- R&J Lounge and Supper Club in SOSA - 320 NW 10th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73103
- Social Deck + Dining in Helm Farm - 1933 NW 23rd St, Oklahoma City, OK 73106
- Pearl's Oyster Bar in Historic Brookhaven - 5641 N Classen Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73118
More Date Spots in Oklahoma City We Love
As you probably already know, the quality of your date in Oklahoma City comes down to more than just eating delicious food and/or having a couple of drinks. With all that Oklahoma City has to offer, there’s no shortage of activities to build rapport and create memories with your date outside of bars and restaurants. Plenty of people have great dates at these places in and around Oklahoma City, and we're confident you can do the same:
- Go ice skating at Arctic Edge Ice Arena
- Watch the Oklahoma Thunder play at OKC Energy FC
- The American Pigeon Museum & Library and Science Museum of Oklahoma offers one-of-a-kind exhibits you won’t find elsewhere
- Check out some fascinating wildlife at the Oklahoma City Zoo
- Try a group dance lesson together at Velocity Dance Center
- Shoot some targets together at Trosper Park Archery Range
- Stroll through vendor booths at the many art fairs throughout Oklahoma City
- Shop for fresh groceries and taste homemade food at the Oklahoma City Farmers Market
- Solve a puzzle at The Escape OKC
- Catch live music and more at The Tower Theatre
Bear in mind that Oklahoma has four distinct seasons, so the time of year will make a difference with some of these recommendations (being outside for hours in the summer heat, the windy months, and the frigid winter doesn't always make for a great date), so you've been warned!