Dating in Albuquerque, just like anything in life can be quite frustrating. Whether you’re hunting for a date in downtown Albuquerque, the ‘burbs, and the rest of the Albuquerque metro area, you’re certainly not the only one that thinks “How can I find a partner in Albuquerque?”.
It’s a bit confusing, but single men and women are actually spoiled for choice in Albuquerque when it comes to finding singles. However, the reality of actually meeting single people in Albuquerque, setting up a date, and having a great time together is tougher than ever (you can thank the pandemic for that!).
Is there a solution? Of course, there is and BeyondAges is here to show you the way. With a bit of planning and effort on your part, finding a date in Albuquerque is actually much easier than in other comparably-sized cities. You’ll have to be a little adventurous and explore all of the Albuquerque dating scene (not just the places you’ve already been trying). You will be surprised at what you may find!
Read on to find the most proven suggestions on where to meet Albuquerque singles, great Albuquerque date ideas to find your bearings, dating apps that give you an advantage, and some of our favorite date spots around Albuquerque.
Table of Contents
What Dating in Albuquerque Is Like Right Now
First, let's look at what the Albuquerque dating scene is actually like:
In all honesty, the dating scene in Albuquerque has always been pretty turbulent and the pandemic made things worse. Nevertheless, many young singles still choose Albuquerque for its unique climate, plenty of high-paying industries, and a cost of living that’s way below comparable cities. With so many big business and governmental entities here like The State of New Mexico, SunBridge Healthcare, SUMCO, Khi, and more, there’s always an influx of new people in Albuquerque.
It’s also important to note that there’s quite a bit of diversity in the type of partners you can find here. As compared to other NM cities like Sante Fe and Las Cruces, Albuquerque is the perfect setting to find a partner- that is, if you’re willing to put in the effort.
Here’s a breakdown of what Albuquerque’s single demographics look like:
- Total population: 562,935
- Percentage single: 36.80%
- Total singles: 207,160
- Single men: 100,174
- Single women: 106,986
With nearly 37% of the city’s population looking for a partner, you only need to be in the right place at the right time.
Now, we know what you’re probably thinking:
If there are so many singles out there, why am I single?
Having plenty of dating options doesn't necessarily mean that dating in Albuquerque is going to be easy. In fact, it’s never been more competitive (more on that below). However, knowing where to look certainly helps.
Where to Meet Someone to Date in Albuquerque
To be frank, it's darn near impossible to make a list of the best places to find someone to date in Albuquerque! There are simply too many options!
Instead, we’ll share some of the best places that make it much simpler to meet Albuquerque singles that are looking for more than just some bedroom fun (read our article on where to find Albuquerque hookups if that’s your goal).
Your search will take you to different neighborhoods and venues across Albuquerque in search of those with similar values and preferences. After all, it may be hard to discover a doctor in a dive bar, nor would you expect someone from one side of town to be on the other.
For the best results, we’ve narrowed down what matters most when you’re on the lookout for candidates for serious relationships:
- Lots of singles
- Lively atmosphere/ambiance
- Easy to mix and mingle with new people
- Quiet enough to actually have a conversation
- Alcohol is served (if appropriate)
- Relatively inexpensive
These six criteria are very useful when meeting up with other available Albuquerque singles. If you’re deciding on a new place, don’t be afraid to do your own research and see how often these hold true for your dating success in Albuquerque.
Now, before we get into some specific recommendations, let's quickly turn our attention to apps:
Why you should be using at least one app
If you’re not using at least one dating app, you’re probably failing in the Albuquerque dating scene.
With social distancing guidelines still in effect for many people due to the ongoing pandemic, more singles in Albuquerque switched to apps to communicate - ultimately changing what it means to date. This means that for better or worse, dating apps are here to stay.
Does this mean that dating apps in Albuquerque are the only way to go? Of course not, in-person interactions are still the best to find a date. However, it can be a real struggle if you don’t have that much free time and want to save on spending your hard-earned cash (instead of going out several times a week).
With this in mind, check our rankings of the best dating apps in Albuquerque. From career-oriented people, religious types, and those looking for the shortest path to a quick hookup, there are plenty of options to choose from. If you're pressed for time and don’t want to read the full article, these dating apps in Albuquerque are the best options:
- eHarmony is the best choice for long-term relationships in Albuquerque and features the absolute best track record among all other Albuquerque dating apps - try eHarmony today for a free trial! Move than 75% of marriages that start online begin on eHarmony so if you're looking for something that will last it doesn't get any better.
- AFF is designed for casual fun in Albuquerque where your security and privacy are protected - free trial, too! At this point we've tried out over 100 different apps and sites and this is where we've consistently seen regular guys see the best results.
Don’t be afraid to use multiple dating apps as you learn who’s on them and what features work for you. They’re all pretty cheap - for the cost of a cover fee at a popular bar, expect to get unlimited access to single women. Upper-tier subscriptions mean more features and better results, so they’re pretty much “you pay for what you get”.
Now, let's talk about our favorite spots around Albuquerque.
The best singles bars in Albuquerque
We've narrowed down a list of the best singles bars in Albuquerque where you’re guaranteed to run into other singles looking for someone like you.
These bars offer the best chances for singles to meet up by chance, share a couple of adult beverages, and enjoy a comfortable atmosphere that makes meeting new people easy (ie. it has outdoor bench seating, dark interior lighting, and hookah options).
- Moonwalk in Downtown Albuquerque - 505 Central Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Founders Speakeasy in Downtown Albuquerque - 622 Central Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Safe House Distilling Co. in Downtown Albuquerque - 616 Gold Ave SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Apothecary Lounge in Huning Highlands - 806 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- The Salt Yard - West in Seven Bar Ranch - 3700 Ellison Dr NW, Albuquerque, NM 87114
- The Copper Lounge in Silver Hill - 1504 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106
- Visit Q Bar Lounge if you want to meet an Albuquerque cougar - 800 Rio Grande Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104
Don’t forget that there are a couple of factors that either make or break a fun bar experience. From the time of day, whether there’s live entertainment, or whether a favorite bartender is working, these places can vary widely. (If you have any suggestions about the best singles bars in Albuquerque, drop a comment below.)
A few other great places to find a date in Albuquerque
Do not feel like going to bars? While they can be a great environment to meet Albuquerque singles, there are plenty of other options that don’t rely on alcohol. You can still get great results outside of a bar setting - even during Albuquerque’s scorching summers and the frigid winter season.
Take a look at a few more options that have helped men and women in Albuquerque. As with anything dating-related, keeping an open mind is encouraged. Don't take things too seriously, and just focus on having a good time. You just might find someone that you might not run into elsewhere in Albuquerque!
- Yasmine's Cafe in Silver Hill - 1600 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106
- 50/50 Coffee House & Pub by the University of New Mexico - 2122 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106
- Duggan's Coffee in Silver Hill - 2227 Lead Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106
- Satellite Coffee in North Campus - 1131 University Blvd NE suite a-b, Albuquerque, NM 87106
- Curious Toast Cafe in Raynolds Addition - 718 Central Ave SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Meetup groups - There are tons of Meetup groups throughout Albuquerque that are full of eager singles looking to share their interests and hobbies. Plus, there are even singles mixer events for finding your next match!
- Again, apps and sites are a good option for just about anyone (check out the best dating sites in Albuquerque here)
The Apps Dating Coaches Recommend Most For Dating in Albuquerque
In a city like ours, you don’t want to miss out on dating opportunities. But if you don’t want to head to every single hotspot in the city in the span of a weekend, what you really need is an effective dating app for meeting women. Here are the top dating apps we’ve tried and loved.
Site Our Experience Our Rating Free Trial Link Experience Highlights Try eHarmony Experience Highlights Try AFF For Free Tinder Highlights Try Tinder
What about speed dating in Albuquerque
Have you ever considered trying speed dating in Albuquerque? Speed dating has become extremely popular ever since the beginning of the pandemic - especially for virtual speed dating via streaming.
If you're busy and have some spare cash (events usually cost about $40 - $80 to attend an event), speed dating in Albuquerque is perhaps the most efficient way to meet between 15 to 20 other singles in the space of an hour or so. Plus, the time is guaranteed for each conversation, so you won’t feel like you should’ve said something more or didn’t have enough time.
Most speed dating events in Albuquerque follow the same pattern with a few variations:
- First, you preregister online. You’ll receive the rules of the event, as well as what you should expect (ie. dress code, code of conduct, etc.)
- On the day of the event, you show up at the venue. Many bars rent out rooms for speed dating events so there’s some amount of privacy.
- With everyone arriving, the host reads the rules and it starts the process of "mini-dates" lasting approximately 5 minutes, where participants make conversation. The idea is that first impressions tend to be a good indicator of whether there’s a spark.
- Once 5 minutes is over, a bell sounds indicating the men to move to the next table where a woman remains seated (sometimes women swap seats just so they don’t get tired).
- This 5-minute process repeats until the entire event elapses or until everyone gets a chance to meet one another.
As the event progresses, both participants make a list of the people they want to see again. If both singles want to see each other again, the speed dating organizer gives you the other match’s contact info (usually by the next day). Simple, no?
If this sounds like a fun and efficient way to meet new singles in Albuquerque, the following are the best Albuquerque speed dating groups worth checking out:
Now that we’ve covered the essentials, let's look at how to have a great date in Albuquerque!
Our Best Date Ideas in Albuquerque - and Why They’re Great
Now that you have met a special someone who said “yes” to a date, it’s time to plan where you’re going and what you’re doing. For the first few dates, most people choose a “dinner and a movie”. It’s a HUGE mistake. Here’s why:
- A dinner date between two relative strangers often turns into a pseudo-interview. Plus, eating makes people lethargic and don’t even mention the potential conflicts that can arise when it comes time to pay.
- A movie is a passive activity and doesn’t normally involve any conversation, making it pretty bad if you’re stuck next to someone you don’t actually like that much.
Instead, we have a few rules that all of our date ideas in Albuquerque generally follow. A great date idea in Albuquerque tends to be one that:
- Doesn’t require traveling far
- Focuses on new, fun, and interesting experiences
- Things are happening around you that make great conversation topics
- Doesn't involve sitting face-to-face for a long time
- Requires some physical activity or moving
- Isn't too expensive or requires expensive equipment to participate
- Doesn't last for hours (you can bail if you’re not feeling it)
- Allows both of you to feel comfortable
- Features a little friendly competition
Here’s a great tip: It helps to know what your date likes beforehand or what you have some experience with for the best results. For example, if you know your date is interested in archery take her to a range. Or, if you’re date loves a little physical activity, they’ll probably have a good time on a nature hike.
It’s best to keep an open mind and do things that would create a memorable experience that you both share (even if it goes poorly and you both get embarrassed). To get started, here are some great dating ideas in Albuquerque:
- Go ice skating
- Have fun with a few rounds of miniature golf
- Learn some new moves by taking a group dance class
- Hit a bullseye at an archery range
- Work on your swing at a driving range
- Hit up the zoo or wildlife refuge
- Check out a street fair (Albuquerque has tons)
- Explore a farmer’s market
- Try your hand at axe throwing
- Test your quick thinking in an escape room
- Go rollerskating
- Take a walk with your dog somewhere fun (if you have one)
- Take a painting class (preferably with some adult beverages to loosen up your creativity)
- Explore museums and botanical gardens
This list should give you a pretty decent idea of what people in Albuquerque actually do for dates. Each of the above activities doesn't require basic athletic skills to enjoy or at least attempt, so there’s little to no pressure to be good at any of them - plus, it’s exciting to discover that your new date is really good at rollerskating!
The first date idea that we always recommend
The ideas above can be great first dates but we have a better idea. When people ask our team what the best first date in Albuquerque is we always tell them the same thing, meet up at a laid-back lounge or coffee shop and get to know each other a bit.
A full-blown date is a lot of pressure and isn't cheap. It takes time to plan and might involve you taking a bus around town to get there. Before you make that kind of investment you want to know that you and your interest have at least some level of compatibility. The last thing you want is to get stuck for hours on a date that you knew 10 minutes in, wasn't going anywhere.
Instead, tell them that you're really busy but would love to meet up for a drink to get to know each other a bit. If things go well you can always extend the date to one of the activities above. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much. This also takes a lot of pressure off both of you so you can both relax and be yourselves.
Best Date Bars in Albuquerque (Especially for Fun First Dates)
Going out to all of the great bars in Albuquerque is certainly a fun way to relax. Whether you want to spend hours at a lounge or barhop to a new venue to mix things up, Albuquerque’s bar scene offers a lot of versatility when it comes to planning your date.
With this in mind, finding a great date bar in Albuquerque and the rest of the metro area comes down to what type of night you’re looking to have. Whether you hit up a dive bar to let your hair down, an elegant cocktail lounge for something classy, or even blow off some steam at a “barcade”, Albuquerque has plenty of variety to impress your date.
Take a look at the list below, as we’ll focus on Albuquerque bars with the best drink specials, live entertainment, and more:
- Sister in Downtown Albuquerque - 407 Central Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Moonlight Lounge in the Sunshine Theater - 120 Central Ave SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Lounge 201 and Patio in Downtown Albuquerque - 201 Marquette Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Ibiza Urban Lounge in Downtown Albuquerque - 125 2nd St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- The First Turn Lounge in the International District - 145 Louisiana Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87108
- The Tiki Tiki Lounge in Loma Del Rey - 3517 Wyoming Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87111
- Raw & Sauce Ultralounge in Boyds-Leslie Park - 6910 Montgomery Blvd NE Suite A, Albuquerque, NM 87109
Albuquerque’s ingenious city planning makes it so that you’ll find plenty of neighborhood bars grouped together without needing to drive between venues. Even if the bars listed above aren’t popping at a particular time or maybe the vibe isn’t right, don’t be afraid to go for a walk to another bar or Uber to a different part of town to keep things interesting!
Best Date Night Restaurants in Albuquerque that Should Be Your First Choice
Here’s a little-known secret for dating in Albuquerque: Skip the traditional “dinner date” for your first few dates.
To be blunt, dinner dates tend to be pretty dull and formulaic. Even at some of Albuquerque's best restaurants, you’ll have a tough time trying to make a connection with a new person over deciding what appetizers to eat and dessert. Plus, there’s always the issue of who pays for the check - something you probably want to avoid.
Nevertheless, if you’ve developed some rapport and are already having a good time, we've got some solid restaurant choices in Albuquerque that offer great ambiance and affordable plates:
- The Kosmos Restaurant in Wells Park - 1715 5th St NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Slate Street Cafe in Downtown Albuquerque - 515 Slate Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Debajo Tapas Y Vino in Downtown Albuquerque - 1025 Lomas Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Range Cafe Downtown in Downtown Albuquerque - 320 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87102
- Scalo in Nob Hill - 3500 Central Ave SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106
- Poki Poki Cevicheria in Nob Hill - 3422 Central Ave NE, Albuquerque, NM 87106
More Date Spots in Albuquerque We Love
You’re probably aware that dating is more than just eating at a restaurant or drinking at a nice bar. Successful dating in Albuquerque means taking advantage of all the experiences Albuquerque has to offer. Based on our experience and research, singles in Albuquerque have had great dates at the following date spots in Albuquerque - and we're absolutely confident you can do the same:
- Go ice skating at Outpost Ice Arenas™
- Watch the Isotopes play at Isotopes Park
- Visit Albuquerque Museum and the Turquoise Museum for one-of-a-kind exhibits and events
- Check out some fascinating wildlife at the ABQ BioPark
- Try a group dance lesson at Dimensions School of Dance
- Shoot some targets together at Hit or Miss Archery Center
- Stroll through vendor booths at the many art fairs throughout Albuquerque
- Shop for fresh groceries and taste homemade food at the Albuquerque Farmers Market
- Solve a puzzle at Escape the Room Albuquerque
- Catch live music, ballet, and more at The Historic El Rey Theater
Note: Because of Albuquerque's desert climate, make sure to take a look at weather forecasts before plotting your next date. No one likes getting heatstroke and sunburnt on their next date, nor do they enjoy shivering in cooler temperatures during what’s supposed to be a fun, relaxing date!