We’ll be completely honest with you: The dating scene in Atlanta can be a frustrating experience for single people. Whether you’re out looking for a date in Atlanta or around the entire Atlanta metro area, many Atlanta singles are wondering how can they meet other available singles.
Actually, there are a lot of singles in Atlanta. The only problem is that finding singles around this vibrant and diverse city is a challenge thanks to the pandemic. Subsequently, the new habits of single people that are looking to adjust to whatever the “new normal” is changed the game entirely. The dating scene is not what it used to be.
Is there a solution to this dilemma? Of course, there is - and BeyondAges is at your service to lead you towards dating success. With a little planning, a reasonable amount of effort on your part, and realistic expectations, finding a date in Atlanta is actually much easier than in similarly-sized cities. The catch is that you’ll have to be willing enough to explore the ENTIRE Atlanta dating scene. You will be surprised at what changing your entire approach and outlook can mean for creating an enjoyable dating experience!
Continue reading this entire article to learn the most proven suggestions on where to meet Atlanta singles, great Atlanta date ideas to build rapport, Atlanta dating apps to boost your odds, and some of our favorite date spots around Atlanta.
Table of Contents
What Dating in Atlanta Is Like Right Now
Let's start by setting out the realities about what the Atlanta dating scene is currently like:
First, many singles choose Atlanta for its great climate, affordable standard of living, and a livability index higher than other cities in Georgia. With many businesses and governmental entities here like Delta Air Lines, Emory University & Emory Healthcare, The Home Depot, and more, singles are choosing Atlanta as their home base for its access to economic opportunities.
There is also quite a bit of diversity in the type of partners you can find in Atlanta, especially by Georgia’s standards, which makes finding exactly what you are looking for more realistic - that is, if you’re willing to put in the effort...
Here’s a breakdown of what Atlanta’s single demographics look like:
- Total population: 491,626
- Percentage: 33.80%
- Total singles: 166,170
- Single men: 79,698
- Single women: 86,472
With nearly 34% of the total population looking for a partner, you’re bound to find someone in Atlanta just by “playing the numbers”. That being said, we know what you’re probably thinking:
If there are so many available singles in Atlanta, why am I still single for so long?
The answer is that having a myriad of dating options to choose from does not necessarily mean that your experience in Atlanta is going to be breezy and straightforward. In fact, dating in Atlanta will most likely be harder because of the competition throughout the city and the restrictions that come from the pandemic (ie. vaccination status, mask restrictions, etc.). Nevertheless, a realistic outlook should be encouraging to your overall outlook.
Where to Meet Someone to Date in Atlanta
At BeyondAges, we believe in being as honest as possible to our readers. To start, making a list of the best places to find someone to date in Atlanta is a near-impossible task. There’s simply too much going on in Atlanta and the surrounding area to choose from!
Instead, we’ll share some of the best places that make it much simpler to meet Atlanta singles that are looking for more than just some casual fun (we have a comprehensive article on where to find Atlanta hookups if that’s your end-game). These are places that tend to have the following criteria in common when you’re on the lookout for candidates in Atlanta and the surrounding area:
- Lots of available singles
- Lively atmosphere where fun is encouraged
- Easy to rub elbows with new people
- A quiet environment to have a normal conversation
- Alcohol is always welcome and appreciated
- Isn’t too pricey
Before we get into some specific recommendations of where to go, let's briefly turn our attention to Atlanta dating apps:
Why you should be using at least one app
Atlanta’s dating scene is highly competitive, and using at least one dating app gives you a great chance of meeting a potential partner.
With social-distancing guidelines remaining a high priority for many people, more Atlanta singles are relying on apps for their convenience and safety. For better or worse, dating apps are part of today’s dating zeitgeist.
Does this mean that dating apps in Atlanta are the only way to go? Of course not, but it can be a struggle if you lead an on-the-go lifestyle, and want to save on spending your hard-earned cash.
If you've struggled previously when choosing which app works to provide the best results, check out our rankings of the best dating apps in Atlanta to find out which apps best fit the type of relationship and partner you’re looking for. If you're pressed for time and don’t want to read the full article, these Atlanta dating apps are the best overall choices:
- eHarmony features the best track record among all Atlanta dating apps - try eHarmony today for a free trial!
- AFF gives you the best odds for finding the casual fun you want with some of the best features you’ll find out there. Try AFF’s free trial today!
At Beyond Ages, we’ve tried out dozens of popular dating apps in Atlanta and determined what actually works out there (not what USED TO work). Be sure to check out our most current rankings above for more info. Now, let's talk about our favorite singles bars and more around Atlanta.
The best singles bars in Atlanta
With the criteria, we listed in the previous section, BeyondAges narrowed down a comprehensive list of the best singles bars in Atlanta that are worth your time. These drinking establishments offer the best chances for single people in Atlanta to meet up, have a refreshing drink (or three), and enjoy a comfortable environment that’s compatible with meeting someone new:
- Gold Room in Lindbergh/Morosgo - 2416 Piedmont Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30324
- Supply & Demand in Buckhead - 3223 Cains Hill Pl NW, Atlanta, GA 30305
- Rose Bar in Buckhead - 3115 Piedmont Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30305
- Euclid Avenue Yacht Club in Little Five Points - 1136 Euclid Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307
- The Righteous Room in Atkins Park - 1051 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306
- The James Room in Inman Park - 661 Auburn Ave NE STE 280, Atlanta, GA 30312
- Visit Johnny's Hideaway if you want to meet an Atlanta cougar - 3771 Roswell Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30342
From choosing a weekday vs a weeknight, whether a popular bartender is working, or other factors, your mileage will vary when selecting the right bar atmosphere. Therefore, don’t be afraid to try a place several times to figure out the best times to go out. (If you have any suggestions about the best singles bars in Atlanta, drop a comment below.)
A few other great places to find a date in Atlanta
Looking for something else other than a bar? If so, there are plenty of options for finding a date in Atlanta that don’t rely on getting drunk so much - even during Atlanta’s humid season.
Take a look at a few more options below that have gotten great results for Atlanta singles. As with anything dating-related in the city, it pays dividends to search in as many places as possible. Don't take things too seriously, and instead simply focus on having a good time. With this mindset, you’re more likely to find someone that you might not have run into elsewhere in Atlanta!
- Java Lords in Little Five Points - 1105 Euclid Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307
- Press and Grind in Atkins Park - 992 North Highland Avenue Northeast, Atlanta, GA 30306
- Inman Perk Coffee in Inman Park - 240 North Highland Avenue Northeast h, Atlanta, GA 30307
- Condesa Coffee in Old Fourth Ward - 480 John Wesley Dobbs Ave NE #100, Atlanta, GA 30312
- Grant Park Coffeehouse in Downtown Atlanta - 8 Park Pl NE, Atlanta, GA 30303
- Whole Foods, Savi Provisions, or Trader Joe’s are all great choices to find singles in Atlanta when you’re out and about for upscale grocery shopping!
- Meetup groups - There are tons of groups throughout Atlanta that are full of eager singles looking to share their interests, including music, hobbies, tech, sports, and even mixer events for finding your next match
- Again, apps and sites are a good option for just about anyone (be sure to read up on the best dating sites in Atlanta here)
The Apps Dating Coaches Recommend Most For Dating in Atlanta
In a city like ours, you don’t want to miss out on dating opportunities. But if you don’t want to head to every single hotspot in the city in the span of a weekend, what you really need is an effective dating app for meeting women. Here are the top dating apps we’ve tried and loved.
Site Our Experience Our Rating Free Trial Link Experience Highlights Try eHarmony Experience Highlights Try AFF For Free Tinder Highlights Try Tinder
What about speed dating in Atlanta
Thinking of trying out speed dating in Atlanta? Speed dating has gained popularity in Atlanta ever since the start of the pandemic. With virtual speed dating (via Zoom) now also an option, speed dating can help you meet available singles that you might not meet elsewhere.
If you're short on free time and have a little spare cash on hand, speed dating in Atlanta is hands-down the most time-efficient way to meet dozens of single people in the space of an hour-plus. Events typically cost anywhere from $30 - $100+ to attend, with the pricier events yielding better clientele and more amenities. You’re paying for access, so you’ll at least know you gave each potential date a fair chance.
Most speed dating events in Atlanta follow the series of steps:
- First, pre-register online. You’ll receive a list of guidelines for the event, including a code of conduct and what you should expect
- On the day of the event, you show up at the venue and check-in. Many bars rent out rooms for speed dating events so there’s a bit of privacy in a comfortable setting.
- With everyone arriving and getting comfortable, the host makes a short announcement about the rules of conduct and starts the process of "mini-dates" each lasting approximately 5 minutes, where participants make conversation. The general thinking is a first-impression tends to be a reliable indicator of any chemistry in a short time period that would make you want to see this person again. (Don’t worry if you don’t get a positive reaction each time; people are choosier than ever!).
- Once 5 minutes is over, a bell sounds indicating the men to move to the next table where a woman remains seated (sometimes women swap seats just so they don’t get tired).
- This 5-minute process repeats until every participant gets a chance to meet all of the attendees.
As the event progresses, both participants make a list of the people they want to see again. If both singles want to see each other again, the speed dating organizer gives you the other match’s contact info (usually by the next day). Pretty simple, right?
If this sounds like a fun, efficient way to meet available singles in Atlanta, the following are the best Atlanta speed dating groups where you’ll get REAL results:
Okay, now that we’ve covered most of the basics about finding a date in the city, let's shift our focus on how to have a great date in Atlanta!
Our Best Date Ideas in Atlanta - and Why They’re Great
After you've set up a time for a date or just want to pitch some ideas to gauge their interest, it’s time to plan what you’re going to do together (or discover why you’re not compatible). Many people who feel they want a safe choice when dealing with a new person in their life often default to the supposedly tried-and-true “dinner and a movie”. This is absolutely a big mistake for dating successfully in Atlanta!
- A dinner date between two relative strangers often turns into a pseudo-interview - even for the best conversationalists. Also, eating a big meal and sitting down makes people lethargic, and don’t even get us started on what happens when it’s time to decide who has to pay when the check comes!
- Watching a movie together is a passive activity and doesn’t involve any conversation until afterward (if the movie is actually anything worth talking about). You’ll have to sit still for 90 minutes or more, which can be an awkward period of time if both of you don’t feel comfortable with one another yet. And if the movie stinks or one person doesn’t enjoy it, it’ll feel like a waste of time.
Instead, we have some simple rules that all of our date ideas in Atlanta follow - or at least avoid the trapping of a boring date (avoid that outcome at all costs!). A great date idea in Atlanta tends to be one that:
- Doesn’t require traveling far distances across town or between venues
- Focuses on new, fun, and interesting experiences
- Things are happening around you that make great conversation topics
- Doesn't involve sitting for prolonged periods of time
- Requires some physical activity or movement
- Isn't too expensive or requires expensive equipment to participate
- Doesn't last for hours (you can bail if things aren’t working out)
- Enables you both to feel completely at ease and comfortable
- Involves a little friendly competition
Here’s a tip for dating success in Atlanta: Start by getting an idea of what your date likes or what you have experienced previously for the best results. For example, if you know your date loves some physical activity, going on a bike ride is most likely a solid choice. A simple glance at their social media or something they mentioned in passing goes a long way for better date reconnaissance.
Also, it’s a good practice to keep an open mind and do things that can potentially create a positive shared experience (plus you can joke about it later if something goes awry). To get started, here are some great dating ideas in Atlanta:
- Strap on your skates and go ice skating
- Have fun with a few competitive rounds of miniature golf
- Cut a rug at a beginner’s group dance class
- Work on your skills at an archery range
- Work on your golf swing at a driving range
- Hit up the wildlife refuge or zoo
- Check out a street fair during the warmer months
- Explore the many booths at a local farmer's market
- Try your hand at ax throwing
- Test your quick-thinking skills in an escape room
- Go rollerskating to show off your moves
- Bring your dog along for a walk
- Take a painting or drawing class
- Explore museums and botanical gardens
Use this list to plan a date in Atlanta or get an understanding of what other singles in Atlanta are actually doing on their dates. Every listed activity only requires little effort and athleticism to enjoy (and is low-cost, too), so there’s basically no pressure to be proficient at any of them. Instead, just focus on having the best time possible with your date!
The first date idea that we always recommend
The ideas above can be great first dates but we have a better idea. When people ask our team what the best first date in Atlanta is we always tell them the same thing, meet up at a laid-back lounge or coffee shop and get to know each other a bit.
A full-blown date is a lot of pressure and isn't cheap. It takes time to plan and might involve you taking a bus around town to get there. Before you make that kind of investment you want to know that you and your interest have at least some level of compatibility. The last thing you want is to get stuck for hours on a date that you knew 10 minutes in, wasn't going anywhere.
Instead, tell them that you're really busy but would love to meet up for a drink to get to know each other a bit. If things go well you can always extend the date to one of the activities above. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much. This also takes a lot of pressure off both of you so you can both relax and be yourselves.
Best Date Bars in Atlanta (Especially for Fun First Dates)
Atlanta has one of the best bar scenes in the US. With something for every person’s tastes, choosing a bar in Atlanta is obviously a great choice for a fun and memorable date. Whether you want to spend some time in a lounge or enjoy a live band in an open-air setting, Atlanta’s bar scene offers a lot of options when it comes to planning your next date.
With this in mind, finding a great date bar in Atlanta simply comes down to what type of night you’re looking to have. Take a look at the list below, as we’ll focus on Atlanta bars with the best drink specials, live events, and more:
- Joystick Gamebar in Old Fourth Ward - 427 Edgewood Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30312
- Little Vinyl Lounge in Little Five Points - 437 Moreland Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307
- Royal Peacock Lounge in Downtown Atlanta - 186 1/2 Auburn Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30303
- Rose Bar in North Buckhead - 3115 Piedmont Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30305
- The Blind Pig Parlour Bar in Buckhead - 128 E Andrews Dr NW, Atlanta, GA 30305
- Therapy Lounge in Briarcliff Heights - 3145 Briarcliff Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30329
- The Imperial in Lenox Place - 726 W College Ave, Decatur, GA 30030
Atlanta’s incredible bar scene means that you’ll find plenty of drinking establishments grouped together and within strolling distance to one another. If you want to find a different vibe to shake things up, don’t be afraid to bar hop or take a Lyft/Uber to another happening neighborhood. Your date is sure to enjoy going on an adventure - even if it’s just another bar setting!
Best Date Night Restaurants in Atlanta that Should Be Your First Choice
Wanna learn a secret for dating success in Atlanta? Avoid traditional “dinner dates” until you’ve actually had a few successful dates (casual meals are fine, btw).
As mentioned above in this article, dinner dates have the unfortunate potential to be pretty dull and uninspiring. Plus, there’s always the dicey issue of who pays for the check - something you probably want to avoid until you get to know each other.
Nevertheless, if you are already having a blast and want to cap the evening off with a meal, we've got some solid restaurant choices in Atlanta that offer great ambiance and affordable plates to enhance your time together:
- Marlay House Irish Pub in Decatur - 426 W Ponce de Leon Ave, Decatur, GA 30030
- Sun in My Belly in Lake Claire - 2161 College Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30317
- Petit Chou in Cabbagetown - 662 Memorial Dr SE, Atlanta, GA 30312
- Ticonderoga Club in Inman Park - 99 Krog St NE W, Atlanta, GA 30307
- Ray's In the City in the Hotel District - 240 Peachtree St, Atlanta, GA 30303
- Thrive in Downtown Atlanta - 101 Marietta St NW, Atlanta, GA 30303
More Date Spots in Atlanta We Love
You probably know that modern dating involves more than just eating, drinking, and engaging in some witty conversation (though that’s all great from time to time). In actuality, successful dating in Atlanta involves actively enjoying one another’s company in the amenities the city has to offer.
Based on our personal experiences and in-depth research, singles in Atlanta have had great dates at the following date spots in Atlanta - and we're confident you can enjoy the same results:
- Go ice skating at Center Ice Arena
- Watch the Braves play at Truist Park
- Visit the High Museum of Art and the MODA for one-of-a-kind exhibits and events
- Check out some fascinating wildlife at the Zoo Atlanta
- Try a group dance lesson at Academy Ballroom Atlanta
- Shoot some targets together at Panola Mountain State Park Archery Range
- Stroll through vendor booths at the many art fairs throughout Atlanta
- Shop for fresh groceries and taste homemade food at Atlanta’s many Farmers Markets
- Solve a puzzle at Breakout Games - Atlanta (Buckhead)
- Catch live music and more at The Fox Theatre
Note: Because of Atlanta’s temperate climate, it’s absolutely important to look at weather forecasts several days and hours before plotting your next date. No one likes getting heatstroke on their next date, nor do they enjoy shivering in the rain. After all, dating is supposed to be fun and relaxing!