If you’re tired of your results with dating in Baltimore, you’re not alone. It may seem like everyone else is going on dates, finding attractive partners, and having an exciting love life in Charm City, but is that really true?
In actuality, Baltimore has tons of available singles - and you could even say we’re spoiled for choice. However, the long-lasting effects of the pandemic and our rapid digitization have left people out in the cold, wondering “How do I find a partner in Baltimore?”
Is there a solution? Of course, there is and BeyondAges is here to show you a number of approaches that get results. With some minor planning and a bit of effort on your part, finding a date in Baltimore is actually much easier than in other comparably-sized cities. There’s just one catch: you must be open-minded enough to explore all of the Baltimore dating scene (not just the places you’ve already been trying) and ultimately make things happen. You will be surprised at what changing your outlook can mean!
Read on to find the most proven suggestions on where to meet Baltimore singles, great Baltimore date ideas to find your bearings, dating apps that give you an advantage, and some of our favorite date spots around Baltimore.
Table of Contents
What Dating in Baltimore Is Like Right Now
First, let's set some expectations about what the Baltimore dating scene is actually like:
In all honesty, the dating scene in Baltimore has always been a pretty tough nut to crack - and the pandemic made things worse. Many young singles choose Baltimore for its proximity to Baltimore’s rich culture, an attractive set of industries to develop a career, and a cost of living that’s below comparable cities in the area, like Washington DC. With so many big business and governmental entities here like Johns Hopkins Health, Social Security Administration, and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Under Armor, not to mention the growing IT sector, new people are constantly moving to Baltimore for its access to economic opportunities.
There is also quite a bit of diversity in the type of partners you can find here, especially for Maryland, which makes finding exactly what you are looking for more attainable - that is, if you’re willing to put in the effort.
Here’s the most current singles demographics in Baltimore:
- Total population: 601,188
- Percentage single: 34.80%
- Total singles: 209,213
- Single men: 96,993
- Single women: 112,221
With almost 35% of Baltimore’s total population looking for a partner, you only need to find the right one to get the party started! Now, we know what you’re probably thinking:
If there are so many singles in Baltimore, why am I single?
Having plenty of dating options in the city doesn't necessarily mean that dating in Baltimore is going to be an easy process. In fact, it might be even harder with all the competition out there, people wanting to explore all their options, and the ongoing nature of the pandemic (oof, will it ever end?!). However, a realistic outlook should be encouraging - you just need to be looking in the right places.
Where to Meet Someone to Date in Baltimore
At BeyondAges, we believe in being as honest as possible to our readers - and honestly, it's near impossible to make a list of the best places to find someone to date in Baltimore! There’s simply too much to choose from on any given day.
Instead, we’ll share some of the best places that make it much simpler to meet Baltimore singles that are looking for more than just a one-night stand (read our comprehensive article on where to find Baltimore hookups if that’s your thing). These places tend to have the following criteria in common when you’re on the lookout for candidates for serious relationships:
- Plenty of available singles
- Lively atmosphere and ambiance
- Easy to mix with new people
- Quiet enough to actually have a conversation
- Alcohol is always appreciated as a social lubricant
- Relatively inexpensive
These six characteristics are very useful to determine whether a new place is appropriate when meeting up with single people. Now, before we get into some specific recommendations, let's briefly turn our attention to dating apps:
Why you should be using at least one app
If you’re not using dating apps, you’re falling behind in the Baltimore dating scene. With the pandemic’s social distancing and more people working from home, many singles have turned to apps to make their dating lives easier. More singles are relying on apps to screen out those who don’t meet their standards and gain access to the largest amount of people with minimal effort. For better or worse, dating apps are here to stay.
Does this mean that dating apps in Baltimore are the only way to go? Of course not, but it can be a struggle if you’re a busy person and you value your free time.
If you've struggled in the past with choosing which app works for you, check out our rankings of the best dating apps in Baltimore to find out which apps best fit the type of partner and relationship you’re looking for. From young professionals, religious types, and those looking for a quick hookup, there are plenty of options to choose from. If you're pressed for time and don’t want to read the full article, these apps are the best options:
- eHarmony features the best track record among all Baltimore dating apps when it comes to finding long-term love. Try eHarmony today for a free trial! It's by far the best opion if you're looking for real compatibility and a long-term relationship.
- AFF is the best dating app in Baltimore for finding casual fun - free trial here too! It's where we've been seeing regular guys have the best success when they don't want a relationship.
Be sure to check out our rankings above for more info. Now, let's talk about our favorite spots around Baltimore.
The best singles bars in Baltimore
Using the criteria we named before, BeyondAges has narrowed down a definitive list of the best singles bars in Baltimore. These bars offer the best chances for single people to meet up, have a refreshing drink, and enjoy a comfortable ambiance that’s conducive to meeting new people:
- Charles Village Pub and Patio in Towson - 19 W Pennsylvania Ave, Towson, MD 21204
- The Bluebird Cocktail Room in Woodberry - 3600 Hickory Ave, Baltimore, MD 21211
- W.C. HARLAN in Charles Village - 400 W 23rd St, Baltimore, MD 21211
- The Place Lounge in Downtown Baltimore - 315 W Franklin St, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Sugarvale in Downtown Baltimore - 4 W Madison St, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Power Plant Live! in Inner Harbor - 34 Market Pl, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Visit Rye if you want to meet a Baltimore cougar - 1639 Thames St, Baltimore, MD 21231
It’s our aim to provide plenty of options from different neighborhoods throughout Baltimore’s metropolitan area, but don’t forget that the time of day (ie. happy hour) or whether there are live events will change who shows up and when. If you have any suggestions about the best singles bars in Baltimore, drop a comment below.
A few other great places to find a date in Baltimore
Don’t like bars or alcohol? While there’s a vibrant bar scene in Baltimore, there are plenty of other options that don’t rely on getting inebriated so much. You can still get great results outside of a bar setting - even during Baltimore’s humid summers and the snowy winter season.
Take a look at a few more options below that have gotten results for Baltimore singles. As with anything dating-related, it pays dividends to be open-minded. Don't take things too seriously, and just focus on having a good time. You just might find someone that you might not run into elsewhere in Baltimore!
- Order & Chaos Coffee in Inner Harbor - 1410 Key Hwy, Baltimore, MD 21230
- Dear Globe Coffee in McCulloh Homes - 422 W Mulberry St, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Sophomore Coffee in Charles Village - 2223 Maryland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21218
- Common Ground Bakery Cafe in Woodberry - 3543 Chestnut Ave, Baltimore, MD 21211
- Milk & Honey Market By Vagrant Coffee in Old Goucher - 10 E Lanvale St, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Whole Foods, Wegman’s, or Trader Joe’s are great choices to find attractive people shopping upscale and organic!
- Meetup groups - There are tons of groups throughout Baltimore that are full of eager singles looking to share their interests, including music, hobbies, tech, sports, and even mixer events for finding your next match
- Again, apps and sites are a good option for just about anyone (check out the best dating sites in Baltimore here)
The Apps Dating Coaches Recommend Most For Dating in Baltimore
In a city like ours, you don’t want to miss out on dating opportunities. But if you don’t want to head to every single hotspot in the city in the span of a weekend, what you really need is an effective dating app for meeting women. Here are the top dating apps we’ve tried and loved.
Site Our Experience Our Rating Free Trial Link Experience Highlights Try eHarmony Experience Highlights Try AFF For Free Tinder Highlights Try Tinder
What about speed dating in Baltimore
Have you ever considered trying speed dating in Baltimore? Speed dating has become an extremely popular choice for dating in Baltimore ever since the start of the pandemic. With virtual speed dating now an option as well as the traditional in-person event, it’s never been easier to meet a bunch of people in a short amount of time.
If you're busy and have some spare cash (events usually cost anywhere from $30 - $100+ to attend an event), speed dating in Baltimore is perhaps the most efficient way to meet a dozen or so single people in the space of an hour-plus. And because the time is guaranteed for each conversation, you won’t feel like you should’ve said something more or didn’t have enough time.
Most speed dating events in Baltimore follow the same pattern:
- First, you preregister online. You’ll receive the rules of the event, as well as what you should expect (ie. dress code, code of conduct, etc.)
- On the day of the event, you show up at the venue. Many bars rent out rooms for speed dating events so there’s some amount of privacy.
- With everyone arriving and getting comfortable, the host makes a short announcement about the rules of conduct and starts the process of "mini-dates" each lasting approximately 5 minutes, where participants make conversation. The idea is that first impressions tend to be a good indicator of whether there’s any chemistry. (Don’t worry if you don’t get a positive reaction each time; people are choosier than ever!).
- Once 5 minutes is over, a bell sounds indicating the men to move to the next table where a woman remains seated (sometimes women swap seats just so they don’t get tired).
- This 5-minute process repeats until the entire event elapses or until everyone gets a chance to meet one another.
As the event progresses, both participants make a list of the people they want to see again. If both singles want to see each other again, the speed dating organizer gives you the other match’s contact info (usually by the next day). Simple, no?
If this sounds like a fun and efficient way to meet new singles in Baltimore, the following are the best Baltimore speed dating groups worth checking out:
Now that we’ve covered what you need to know about finding a date, let's jump into how to actually go on a great date in Baltimore!
Our Best Date Ideas in Baltimore - and Why They’re Great
Once you've met someone a special someone who said “yes” to a date, it’s time to plan a great date to develop a relationship (or discover why they’re a poor match!). Many people default to the “classic dinner and a movie” and that's a big mistake for modern dating in Baltimore! Here’s why:
- A dinner date between two strangers often turns into a pseudo-interview (unless you’re REALLY skilled at conversation). Plus, eating makes people lethargic
- A movie doesn’t involve any conversation, making it pretty bad if you’re stuck next to someone you don’t actually like that much.
Instead, we have a few rules that all of our date ideas in Baltimore generally follow. Or, you can use these to come up with an idea yourself - or at least avoid going on boring dates. A great date idea in Baltimore tends to be one that:
- Doesn’t require traveling far distances or outside of town
- Focuses on interesting and fun experiences
- Things are happening around you that make great conversation topics or ways to shake up the date
- Doesn't involve sitting face-to-face for a long time before knowing each other fully
- Requires some physical activity or moving to keep up your energy over the course of the date
- Isn't too expensive or requires expensive equipment to participate
- Doesn't last for hours (you can bail if you’re not feeling it)
- Allows both men and women to feel comfortable
- Features some friendly competition or teamwork
Here’s a useful tip: It helps to know what your date likes beforehand or what you have some experience with for the best results. For example, if you know your date loves animals, going to a zoo is a solid choice. Or, if you’re date is fit and loves a little physical activity, they’ll probably have a good time on a nature hike. A quick look on their social media profile or something they mentioned when you met them goes a long way.
It’s best to keep an open mind and do things that would create a memorable experience that you both share (even if it goes poorly and you both get embarrassed). To get started, here are some great dating ideas in Baltimore:
- Ice skating
- Miniature golf
- Try some new steps at group dance lessons
- Try your skills out at an archery range
- Go to the driving range
- Visit a zoo or local wildlife refuge
- Check out a street fair (Baltimore has tons)
- Going to a farmer’s market
- Axe throwing
- Escape rooms
- Take a walk with your dog somewhere fun (if you have one)
- Painting class (with some adult beverages, of course!)
- Botanical garden
Each of the aforementioned activities is active, fun, and doesn't require any skill to enjoy. Therefore, it’s way easier to focus on your goal, which should be having a fun time together. After all, who doesn’t love a good time!?
The first date idea that we always recommend
The ideas above can be great first dates but we have a better idea. When people ask our team what the best first date in Baltimore is we always tell them the same thing, meet up at a laid-back lounge or coffee shop and get to know each other a bit.
A full-blown date is a lot of pressure and isn't cheap. It takes time to plan and might involve you taking a bus around town to get there. Before you make that kind of investment you want to know that you and your interest have at least some level of compatibility. The last thing you want is to get stuck for hours on a date that you knew 10 minutes in, wasn't going anywhere.
Instead, tell them that you're really busy but would love to meet up for a drink to get to know each other a bit. If things go well you can always extend the date to one of the activities above. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much. This also takes a lot of pressure off both of you so you can both relax and be yourselves.
Best Date Bars in Baltimore (Especially for Fun First Dates)
Baltimore’s renowned for its nonstop nightlife and excellent day-drinking opportunities (go easy!), so choosing a bar is an obvious choice for a fun, memorable date. Whether you want to spend a couple of hours in a lounge or barhop to keep things lively, Baltimore’s bar scene offers a lot of versatility when it comes to planning your date.
With this in mind, finding a great date bar in Baltimore simply comes down to what type of night you’re looking to have. Choose a dive bar to let your hair down, dress up for an elegant cocktail lounge experience, or even have some friendly competition at a “barcade” - whatever you’re into, Baltimore has plenty of variety to impress your date so you never have a dull moment:
- GameOn Bar+Arcade in Fed Hill - 902 S Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21230
- Greenmount Lounge in Johnston Square - 1320 Greenmount Ave, Baltimore, MD 21202
- The Place Lounge in Seton Hill - 315 W Franklin St, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Zeeba Lounge in Riverside - 916 Light St, Baltimore, MD 21230
- Oxygen Ultra Lounge in Inner Harbor - 10 S Calvert St, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Medusa Restaurant & Lounge in Downtown Baltimore - 401 W Baltimore St, Baltimore, MD 21201
Baltimore’s fun bar scene means that you’ll find plenty of establishments within walking distance of one another. If you feel the energy of the date’s starting to take a nosedive or maybe you want to find a better vibe (or just a less crowded place), don’t be afraid to go for a walk to another bar around the corner or take an Uber to another side of Baltimore to keep things interesting!
Best Date Night Restaurants in Baltimore that Should Be Your First Choice
Psssst… We’re gonna fill you in on a secret for successful dating in Baltimore: Skip the traditional “dinner date” for your first few dates.
Why? In all honesty, dinner dates tend to be pretty dull and formulaic. Even at some of Baltimore's best restaurants, you’ll also have a tough time trying to make a connection with a new person over drink refills, talking over the ambient noise, and dealing with the check (trust us, it’s risky to assume who pays for what!).
Nevertheless, if you’ve developed a decent rapport and are already having a good time, we've got some solid restaurant choices in Baltimore that offer great ambiance and affordable plates:
- 17 Light Restaurant in Inner Harbor - 17 Light St, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Lumbini Restaurant in Bromo Arts District - 322 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21201
- The Helmand in Bromo Arts District - 806 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21201
- Golden West Cafe in Hampden - 1105 W 36th St, Baltimore, MD 21211
- Johnny's in Roland Park - 4800 Roland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21210
- Cypriana in Tuscany-Canterbury - 105 W 39th St, Baltimore, MD 21210
More Date Spots in Baltimore We Love
Ultimately, the quality of a successful date comes down to more than just having a lovely meal or refreshing cocktails. With all that the Baltimore metropolitan area has to offer, there’s no shortage of activities to build rapport and create memories with your date. The following places in Baltimore have been perfect to start a relationship and have a good time - and we're absolutely confident you can do the same.
- Go ice skating at Mt Pleasant Ice Arena
- Watch the Orioles play at Camden Yards
- Visit the Baltimore Museum of Art and the Baltimore Museum of Industry for one-of-a-kind exhibits and events
- Check out some fascinating wildlife at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
- Try a group dance lesson at Mobtown Ballroom
- Shoot some targets together at Dodgebow Baltimore
- Stroll through vendor booths at the many art fairs throughout Baltimore
- Shop for fresh groceries and taste homemade food at Baltimore’s many Farmers Markets
- Solve a puzzle at Charm City Clue Room
- Catch live music, ballet, and more at Pier Six Pavillion
Note: Baltimore has a pretty temperate climate, but make sure to check weather forecasts before plotting your next date. No one likes sweating or shivering on their next date during what’s supposed to be a fun, relaxing date. Trust us, your date will thank you!