Are you wondering how to glow up as a man? A “glow up” is generally associated with women, but men deserve some attention too!
For those not in the know, a glow up refers to a transformation or significant improvement in your appearance, confidence, or overall lifestyle. It’s a journey of self-improvement and self-expression, emphasizing positive changes and personal growth where it’s impossible to notice that you’re glowing. You become a more attractive or impressive version of yourself–a key part of success with women and life in general.
According to virtually all women, it’s recommended to pay special attention to your hygiene, skincare, and fashion sense to glow up as a man. However, take a look around yourself: Most men are absolutely clueless when it comes to improving themselves.
To help you find your new you, BeyondAges created a comprehensive guide on how to glow up as a guy.
10 Tips to Glow Up as a Man in 2023
It’s time to glow up, men! Before we begin, it is important to note that a male glow up should focus on self-acceptance, self-care, and your personal well-being rather than conforming to any societal beauty standards or seeking validation from others. You’re looking to create a newer, better version of yourself–not a cookie-cutter approximation of some celebrity or unattainable ideal.
Take a look at the following 10 male glow up tips to enhance your style, fitness, confidence, and overall well-being this year:
- Upgrade Your Clothing Style and Appearance
- Pay Attention to Your Fitness and Physical Health
- Practice Good Hygiene and Grooming
- Build Your Confidence
- Improve Your Mental Well-Being
- Practice Better Social Skills and Communication
- Education and Personal Development
- Get Better Sleep
- Set a Realistic Plan for the New You
- Embracing Individuality and Authenticity
Tip #1: Upgrade Your Clothing Style and Appearance
Glow up men definitely don’t disregard how they present themselves to the world. Appearances are everything when it comes to a glow up, so take the opportunity to upgrade your style to attract attention.
Clothing has an immediate impact on how people treat you, so it takes attention to detail to create a new visual representation. If you’re looking to attract higher-class people, name brands will be your go-to. If you want to be treated like a celebrity, then, by all means, emulate your idols. And if you want to dress like your authentic self, experiment with what feels the most comfortable.
BeyondAges has plenty of in-depth articles that cover the nuances of crafting your new style. Join the ranks of glow up men that are living their best lives by clicking on the following articles that will take you from zero to hero in no time:
- How to Dress Well For Men in 2023 (3 Masculine Archetypes)
- How to Build a Capsule Wardrobe for Men: The Ultimate Guide
- How to Dress Rich without Spending Too Much Money
- Do Women Like Beards? Here's What Our Experts Think
Note: Don’t worry about having everything figured out about your style from the get-go (there’s a reason you look lousy in the first place!). Crafting style takes time, and you’ll eventually know when everything falls into place.
Tip #2: Pay Attention to Your Fitness and Physical Health
Health is wealth, so you might as well look like a million bucks.
There’s a science behind attractiveness when it comes to a male glow up, and it revolves around being physically fit. Women are attracted to men who look like they take the time to take care of their bodies–and they’re especially attracted to men who put in the time at the gym.
Therefore, you should prioritize fitness for a remarkable glow up. Engage in exercises that boost your strength to carry heavy loads, stamina to go the distance, and overall health to weather any storm.
There are physical markers that society always deems as exceptional, such as six-pack abs and biceps that are bigger than most people’s thighs. Glow up men know this, which is why you see so many high-value men making the gym a valuable part of their day.
Furthermore, it’s important to maintain a balanced diet. If you’re looking to glow, you will have to restrict yourself from indulgences, with the understanding that the sacrifices of “mouth pleasure” mean pleasure in the bedroom (and a partner who values her body in the same way).
Tip #3: Practice Good Hygiene and Grooming
Glow up men don’t have neckbeards or smell rank, nor do they “forget” to brush their teeth or neglect regular showers. That simply doesn’t happen!
When it comes to getting to the next level for a glow up, men need to take their hygiene seriously AND go well beyond just “good enough”. Here's a list of seven essential personal hygiene practices for men that are non-negotiable:
- Daily Showering: Take daily showers to remove sweat, dirt, body fluids, fecal matter (yes!), and bacteria from your body. A good loofah goes a long way, too. You’ll notice how your skin glows after a shower and exfoliation, plus you will feel the difference as you’re toweling up.
- Oral Hygiene: Brush your teeth at least twice a day (or after every meal), floss regularly, and use mouthwash to ensure fresh breath. This will help prevent unsightly dental issues and serious dental issues, such as an abscess.
- Hair Care: Regularly wash and condition your hair to keep it clean, manage oiliness, and maintain the health of your scalp. Style your hair as desired and get haircuts on a regular basis. If you’re unsure of what your best look may be, a barber is a good choice to help you select your new look.
- Facial Care: Cleanse your face daily to remove impurities and use a moisturizer suitable for your skin type to nourish it for a noticeable, glowing effect. If you sport facial hair, make sure it is symmetrical, well-maintained, and styled with high quality razors.
- Hand Hygiene: Wash your hands frequently, especially before meals and after using the restroom, to prevent the spread of germs and maintain good overall hygiene. This is extremely important if you work with your hands, where chemicals and dirt can lead to noticeable skin ailments.
- Nail Care: Trim your nails regularly to maintain cleanliness and prevent dirt buildup.
- Body Odor Management: Use deodorant or antiperspirant to control body odor, especially under the arms. Avoid cheaper fragrances or masking bad odors with deodorant that fools absolutely no one but yourself!
Okay, those are just the basics. Here’s extra credit that glow up men can be proud to show the world:
- Get a Manicure: Go to a nail salon and have your hands manicured for neat and clean hands. While you may not have ambitions to be a hand model, well-manicured hands show attention to detail in personal care (women will notice). During a manicure, a professional will clean, shape, and trim the nails, remove cuticles, moisturize your hands, and optionally apply a clear coat or buff for a polished appearance.
- Consider Cosmetic Surgery: If you have unsightly moles or blemishes, a trip to the dermatologist may be in order to get them removed. Similarly, if you do have a physical disfigurement that can be fixed with minor surgical procedures, consulting with a medical professional will give you options on how to boost your appearance that was otherwise holding you back.
- Use Good Cologne as Your Signature Scent: Colognes offer a pleasant scent that enhances your personal style and leaves a lasting impression. When selecting cologne, choose one that complements your natural body odor and matches your personality, and apply it sparingly to pulse points such as the wrists, neck, or chest for a subtle yet appealing fragrance.
- Teeth Whitening: For the cost of a few hundred dollars, you can show off your radiant smile again in complete confidence. There are plenty of low-cost dental services that will have you in and out in an afternoon, changing your dating prospects forever.
- Install a Bidet in Your Home: A bidet attachment helps make the process of cleaning up after using the toilet more hygienic than toilet paper alone. Plus, you’ll save a ton on toilet paper and never have the all-too-familiar uncertainty that you “missed a spot”.
- Eye Care: The eyes are the window to the soul, so it makes sense to keep them in great condition. Consider using an eye cream or gel to address specific concerns such as dark circles, puffiness, or fine lines around the eyes. If you find that you don’t really enjoy wearing glasses, Lasik surgery creates a remarkable difference.
Tip #4: Build Your Confidence
Building confidence is what separates the glow up tips for boys from the glow up tips for men. A confident mindset enables men to overcome obstacles, embrace their unique qualities, and fully embrace the journey of self-improvement. These are all deeply attractive things to women that some would say give you a more attractive “aura” or achieves “the halo effect”.
Another reason why confidence is attractive is that it can’t be faked. Though many try, the subtleties of being genuinely unconfident tend to become magnified. For example, you may wear an attention-catching t-shirt, only to have your demeanor change when someone cracks a good-hearted joke at your expense. Could you handle it?
Worse, overcompensating with false confidence suggests that you’re trying to cover up for faults that lurk just under the facade. This behavior makes people uneasy, as your appearance isn’t in alignment with what they perceive subconsciously. If you’re wondering why you suffer from a lack of respect and experience a lot of conflicts in your life, it’s most likely because people are perceiving this incongruence and acting accordingly.
So, how do glow up men achieve confidence? By methodically confronting their issues AND coming out the other side. Here are a few ways to get yourself started on a path of glowing with confidence:
- Focus on setting achievable goals that give you real feedback on where your true capabilities lie. This can be found by forcing yourself to approach an attractive woman in public. If she’s receptive, it’s highly likely you’ll feel that undeniable surge of confidence. If she blows you off, at least you made an attempt and the next chance is one step closer to success.
- Step out of your comfort zone to try new experiences that challenge and empower you. Being in a state of “confronting the unknown” helps you avoid wallowing in a spiral of anxiety and uncertainty. And the next time a new challenge appears, you’ll already be ready to take it on.
- Embrace your individuality. Play to your strengths and craft a persona that’s closer to your true character. This approach, however, may make you feel vulnerable (or even downright naked), but there’s nothing worse than failing because you were trying to be someone else.
Tip #5: Improve Your Mental Well-Being
Of all the glow up tips for guys, this one is the most important: You must improve your mental health and well-being to truly exude positivity.
Why is our mental health such a vital part of a glow up? Men typically are told to grin-and-bear their mental issues, bottling up issues that plague their lives with poor decision-making, low self-esteem, and worse–it shows up in our physical appearance. Think about it: If a man is feeling down, do they typically walk with the shoulders straight? Do they make eye contact? Do they seem like someone you’d want to strike up a conversation with? Obviously not.
For a glow up, men must nurture their mental states and emotions. This takes being proactive and not waiting for these feelings to pass. Instead, embrace activities like:
- Take up a regular meditation practice or go on a meditation retreat (such as a non-denominational Vipassana retreat). By “taking a break from life”, we can re-enter life with a fresh perspective that would otherwise be elusive.
- Practice mindfulness to be aware of the negative thought patterns and habits that you may have grown accustomed to. When you find yourself in a negative thought loop, take a mental step back and observe how your mindset affects your body. For example, a nagging public blunder in the past might be making you cringe automatically every time you’re in a similar situation. Self-reflection can be a daily habit, or you can set aside a time each week to see where you’re lacking. Once you’ve narrowed down where you’re failing, make changes and glow on!
- Seek professional help from a qualified therapist if your mental issues are elusive or complicated. A neutral third party will give you an objective diagnosis that often gets to the heart of the matter (something friends and family may not be able to give you). There’s no shame in doing this. In fact, we take our vehicles to a mechanic, so why not take your mind to a person who’s trained to recognize mental maladies?
- As mentioned in Tip #2 above, the amount of exercise we get daily is directly correlated with our mental states. If you’ve found yourself in the dumps, taking a brisk walk or lifting weights will ease the tension that you may not have even known was dragging you down.
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed or overworked, taking a vacation helps with your mental state. By being in a new place and/or frame of mind, you’ll feel the difference and understand what must change for a long-lasting glow up.
Tip #6: Practice Better Social Skills and Communication
Refine your social skills for a transformative glow up. No one feels comfortable with socially-awkward people, so it’s your responsibility to understand the in’s and out's of communication.
There are more than a couple ways to improve your social skills and communication:
- Practice active listening, the practice of fully engaging with and comprehending what someone is saying. By doing so, you’ll be demonstrating empathy and understanding through verbal and non-verbal cues. You’ll find that, by active listening, you’ll build stronger connections and gain valuable insights that can contribute to your own transformation.
- Understand interpersonal skills to enable other people to feel better in your presence. Use psychological concepts to understand another person’s point of view and turn every interaction into a win-win encounter.
- Expand your social circle and embrace new connections. You are the net sum of those you interact with, so glow up men understand that every new person is another deposit in their social bank.
Tip #7: Education and Personal Development
Continual learning and personal growth go hand-in-hand.
Do your best to further your own education at every opportunity. Every new piece of knowledge via books, workshops, and even YouTube videos means that you’ll enhance your glow up when it comes to expanding your skills and worldview. People are always impressed with knowledgeable men, so make it a priority to further your education to improve your results.
Tip #8: Get Better Sleep
Glow up men sleep well. Period.
Sleep is one of the most important activities we do each day. From being more present to just having energy, there’s no substitute to a good night’s sleep. You’ll want to take a look at how well you’re sleeping–and there’s plenty of reasons you’re not getting restorative sleep each night.
For example, you may have sleep apnea and haven’t taken the steps to use a CPAP machine properly to eliminate snoring and micro-naps. Or, your bed may be uncomfortable, leaving you tossing and turning all night.
Make sleep a priority and watch your quality of life blossom!
Tip #9: Set a Realistic Plan for the New You
If you don’t know where you’re going, how can you get there?
Set goals and create a roadmap for your next glow up. Using the aforementioned tips in this guide, take the time to look at your life and create goals to reach where you want to be. Plan and track your progress to stay motivated and focused on your journey of self-improvement.
Tip #10: Embracing Individuality and Authenticity
Glow up men all have this quality in common: They embrace their individual qualities and–most importantly–avoid comparing themselves to others. Stay true to yourself and let your genuine self shine, as the path to self-actualization is different for everyone. Stay humble and watch as you become the person you deserve to be, even if the process takes longer than other people. Remember that comparison is the thief of joy; however, being a better you each day is priceless.
Incorporate these ten tips into your life to experience a remarkable glow up as a man in 2023. Begin your transformative journey today, become more attractive in all areas of life, and join the ranks of glow up men that women find irresistible.