Tired of being single or going it alone on the weekends? Looking to add some digits to your (figurative) little black book? If you’re ready to bring your dating life into the 21st century, we’re here to be your guide. In this article, you’ll learn about all the best dating apps in Minneapolis.
This guide is for everyone, from University of Minnesota coeds to older Minneapolitans wanting something real, and everything in between. These apps and sites will help you find partners based on common interests, lifestyles and personalities. And, more importantly, they really work. Your social life is about to get a whole lot more social, which you could probably use post-pandemic as we’ve all changed the way we interact with others.
Whether you want something casual or you’re hoping for lasting love, these are the top Minneapolis dating apps and sites. Keep reading and happy dating!
#1 - Christian Mingle (Android; iOS) is one of the best dating apps in Minneapolis for Christian singles
Christian Mingle is the perfect dating site for Christian singles who are ready to settle down. If you’ve previously struggled with finding a devout partner, look no further than Christian Mingle. Talking about religion can be a little awkward sometimes, so using Christian Mingle eliminates the need for that conversation.
Everyone on the site is Christian, so most users are looking for something serious. If this sounds like you, you can try Christian Mingle for free to test the waters. As it’s a niche site, the userbase is smaller than more general apps, but there are still 15 million users, so the chance of finding your perfect match is high.
Why Christian Mingle is a great site:
- Everyone on the app is Christian
- Access the dating platform via app or desktop
- Plenty of free features if you don’t want to pay for a membership
Why it isn’t for everyone:
- If you’re not a practicing Christian, other dating sites may be better for you
- The search feature is limited
#2 - eHarmony (Android; iOS) can't be beaten for long-term relationships
eHarmony is extremely popular here and has an amazing track record of helping Minneapolis locals find long-term partners by using matching algorithms. This app does the best job of matching you up with compatible potential mates that we've seen.
You don't have to scroll for hours. The app does all of the tough work for you. Of course, you might not make a perfect connection outside of the algorithms. Usually, it works like magic. The toughest part is answering all of the questions. It's important because this is how they match you with other single people. You can build chemistry before you even meet.
If you're serious about finding long-term partners this is the site for you.
Why eHarmony is one of the best dating sites in Minneapolis:
- The best success rate out there for long-term relationships
- 70% of users find their future spouse within a year
- Makes it pretty easy to form connections
What we don’t like about it:
- It definitely takes more time than most to get started
- Not super popular with those 18-22
#3 - MeetMe (Android; iOS) is using video streaming to change online dating
The creators of MeetMe call their app a “social discovery service”; clearly, this isn’t your average dating app. While it is an app where you can meet potential dates and flings, it’s also a new social media platform. The feature that sets MeetMe apart from older dating sites is video chat. Instead of sending texts back and forth, you can have an actual face-to-face conversation.
No, MeetMe isn’t the first dating app to include video chats, but it is fully embracing the tech. In addition to video chats, you can also do public livestreams. If your livestreams are popular, viewers may send you “virtual gifts” and “Diamonds,” which can be converted into actual money. MeetMe is definitely not a normal dating app, but that’s exactly why some people love it.
Why MeetMe is worth checking out:
- Video chats allow users to get a real sense of each other before meeting in the real world
- The livestreaming feature is fun, and there are some genuinely interesting streamers
- You can chat with anyone for free, so that’s a big advantage
Why you might be better off skipping it:
- Profiles are rather barebones unless you pay to upgrade
- If you’re looking for a more traditional dating app, this definitely isn’t it
#4 - AFF is the easiest way to find a fling
AFF (which has a great free trial) should be your first choice when you're not looking for a relationship but still want some fun in the bedroom. We've tried a lot of different apps for this (most are awful) and only a couple have proven to work over and over. Tinder is great if you're under 25 but once you get beyond that AFF has shown the best results out of any dating site in Minneapolis we've tried, especially for guys.
One of the things we've really liked about this app is that they do a really good job of helping you find EXACTLY what you're looking for. Everyone on this site is looking for the same thing so you can save a LOT of time that you would waste on other sites. If you're 25+ and want to take someone home this is your app.
Why you should try AFF:
- They have a massive number of users on their app (over 50 million)
- We’ve seen guys have the best success using it, especially those who aren’t super good looking and didn’t do well on Tinder
- It’s very straightforward and easy to use
What we don’t like about it:
- Many users can only access via web app
- The app is a little dated and not as polished as some others
- Sometimes people are a little TOO upfront with what they want
#5 – Hinge (Android; iOS) helps guys break the ice
If there’s one complaint we hear most from female users of dating apps, it’s that so many guys are unoriginal. It’s a problem even for the ridiculously good-looking guys. It’s hard to stand out if the best opening line you can muster is “Hey girl.” If you struggle with breaking the ice, Hinge will do it for you with their array of icebreaker questions.
These fun, easy questions help you come up with better ways of talking about yourself. They also give you more original entry points for starting a conversation with a new match. Plus, the photo prompt feature lets you add a little bit of humor to your photos. For a lot of guys, the hardest step is the first one. Hinge is here to get you off and running.
Why Hinge is one of the best dating apps in Minneapolis for guys:
- The icebreaker questions and prompts cut through the awkwardness of online chats
- The photo prompts can add a well-needed touch of humor to your profile
- User profiles are quite a bit more in-depth than competitors like Tinder
What we didn’t like:
- The free version is very much just a test drive; you’ll need to pay to get the full benefits
- There is no desktop version if you prefer dating sites
#6 - Hily (Android; iOS) may be the smartest dating app we’ve tried
The main reason eHarmony is one of the best dating sites in Minneapolis is because of its matching algorithm. Most dating apps don’t try to get that involved. You throw up some nice pictures, maybe include a funny quote, and then it’s the luck of the swipe. Hily is the first dating app we’ve tried whose matching algorithm gives eHarmony a run for its money.
Hily (“Hey, I Like You”) uses a sophisticated personality quiz and word-choice analytics to provide potential matches. This app is seriously advanced. Its AI examines the messages you send for communication patterns so that it can bring you even better matches. The result is a feed of people with whom you have more in common than a zip code. Is there anything science can’t do?
Why we were impressed with Hily:
- The matching algorithm does an impressive job of filtering for compatibility
- Other features like video chatting provide a full-service experience
- Paid features like “rollback” (letting you undo accidental skips) add extra value
What we don’t like about it:
- The ads in the free version can be seriously annoying
- It’s relatively new, so the user base (especially women) doesn’t yet compare to other apps
#7 - Zoosk (Android; iOS) is one of the best dating apps in Minneapolis
Zoosk is a great alternative to typical hookup apps like Tinder as there are plenty of young people on the app who actually want a long-term relationship. That being said, you can find a casual fling on Zoosk as well, it’s just not the app’s only focus.
Create a detailed profile to help users get to know you, then start swiping for matches. Or if you’re tired of endless swiping, you can opt for Zoosk’s daily match feature called SmartPick where they suggest a match for you every day.
Why Zoosk is a great dating app in Minneapolis:
- Receive daily match recommendations with the SmartPick feature
- #1 dating app on the app store
- Over 35 million members, many of which are ages 18 to early 20s
Why Zoosk is a great dating app in Minneapolis:
- Free features are limited as you need to pay for a membership to send messages
- Not all users have the same intentions
#8 – Inner Circle (Android; iOS) is one of the best dating sites in Minneapolis for professionals
For busy professionals or those looking to advance their careers, casual dating can be a major drain on one’s time. Inner Circle sets itself apart from other dating apps by recognizing that and respecting your time. It encourages users to be upfront and honest about what they want, and it filters out fake accounts. The app also strives to be the best Minneapolis dating app for social engagement.
With its frequent hosted events specifically for single people, Inner Circle pushes users to sign off and show up. No more chatting forever with some stranger that will just randomly disappear one day. If you are career-minded, Inner Circle will be one of the best dating apps in Minneapolis. But it also has the potential to be so much more.
What we love about Inner Circle:
- The social events are actually fun and a great way to meet people
- There are far less spam messages and bots than many other apps
- Users tend to be career-minded people with an interest in long-term fulfillment
What still needs work:
- It costs money to do pretty much anything on the app, including sending messages
- Not ideal for people who prefer online dating to be more online
#9 - Dine (Android, iOS) is for people who enjoy real dates
One of the consequences of the rapid-fire online dating world is the death of real dates. We have so many options and so little time, most people just opt for quick drinks or a coffee. If you miss getting to know someone over a good meal, Dine will be the best dating site in Minneapolis.
Dine encourages its users to slow down and appreciate the finer things. Instead of simply matching with a stranger and recommending a bar, this site requires that you recommend a restaurant. Set a date and time for the meal and then get to know each other while eating delicious food. The whole process inspires users to get out and enjoy their city.
Who knows, you might not only find true love, you could discover your new favorite restaurant.
Why Dine is one of the best Minneapolis dating apps:
- You don’t waste your time on dozens of blink-and-you-missed-it dates
- Perfect for people who have mastered the art of long conversations
- It’s a pleasure to have an excuse to have a full meal at a nice restaurant
Why you might not enjoy it:
- This isn’t an app for rapid-fire dating if that’s all you’re looking for
- If you and your date don’t click immediately, having a meal with them is a bit awkward
#10 - Bumble (Android; iOS) is one of the best Minneapolis dating apps for women
Dating apps are a mixed bag for most women. On one hand, if you are a woman, you’re all but assured to get plenty of matches. However, with those matches, you’ll run an exhausting gauntlet of bad pick-up lines, rude jerks and (very) unwanted dick pics. You shouldn’t have to open your messages with your hands over your eyes, and Bumble knows that.
By making it so women must message men first, Bumble gives online dating a well-needed shake-up. Women can feel freer to match with anyone they think even remotely interesting without fear of being bombarded by messages. The result is one of the best dating apps in Minneapolis, for both men and women. Sometimes, the smallest changes make the biggest difference.
Why Bumble is one of our favorites:
- When women don’t have to worry about matching, they match more often
- Men appreciate not having the pressure of the opening line
- We’ve found the users tend to be looking for something more substantial
What could be better about it:
- Waiting on messages can slow down the process if all you’re looking for are one-night stands
- You will still struggle to stand out if you aren’t reasonably attractive
#11 - Datefit (iOS) is one of the best dating apps in Minneapolis for the active singles
One of the most important factors in determining whether two people will hit it off is having common interests. Charm and sexual attraction can ignite a romance, but having things in common will keep the fire burning. If fitness and an active lifestyle are essential to you, you’re going to want someone who feels the same. This is why you should be using Datefit.
As much an app for fitness as dating, Datefit helps users in their pursuit of health and love. Users input what they’re looking for in a partner, which in addition to physical attributes includes fitness interests. This helps you find someone with whom you’ll enjoy spending the day as much as the night. If being in tip-top shape is important to you, find someone who shares your passion.
Why Datefit is a great app:
- For those devoted to health and fitness, this is one of the best dating apps in Minneapolis
- A great tool if physical attractiveness in a partner is important
- Doubles as a fitness app that can let you find friends for working out with
Why it isn’t for everyone:
- If fitness and exercise aren’t guiding principles in your life, this app isn’t for you
- An Android app is supposedly on the way, but for now this is an Apple-only app
The Best Dating Sites in Minneapolis for Long-Term Relationships
If you know what you want from a dating app, choosing one that meets those desires is important. Although we’ve already discussed 11 great dating apps in detail, we want to focus on some specific recommendations to help you find what you’re looking for. Here are two of our favorite dating sites in Minneapolis for people who want a long-term relationship:
eHarmony is the best place to find a lifelong partner
eHarmony is one of the most popular dating sites, and for good reason. eHarmony requires all users to complete a detailed questionnaire about their preferences, interests, and hobbies. This questionnaire puts off people who aren’t serious about online dating and helps you match with people based on compatibility, not just looks.
Once you complete the questionnaire, eHarmony sends you match recommendations, saving you plenty of time. As we said earlier, 70% of users find their future spouse within a year on eHarmony, so it’s proven to work. Take advantage of eHarmony’s free trial to test the waters and see if you’re ready to be one of the many happy couples that met on the site.
Single women go to Bumble to find love
If you’re one of those guys who hate having to send the first message, Bumble is for you. On Bumble, you get to swipe through profiles of women in your area. But once you match, women are required to send the first message. Great for you if you’re constantly getting unmatched when you send that first “hi”.
More and more women are swarming to Bumble to find a serious, long-term relationship. So if you always find that the apps you’re using don’t have a lot of female users, this is where you should go.
The Best Hookup Sites in Minneapolis
If you’re not interested in a long-term relationship right now, there are still plenty of dating apps you can try. Here are some of the best Minneapolis hookup sites for you to try:
AFF is one of the best casual dating sites in Minneapolis
AFF is another dating site we had to mention twice because of how successful it is. It’s the largest hookup website out there with over 60 million users, so you won’t struggle to find a booty call in Minneapolis on it.
Everyone on the site is on it for the same reason as you, so no uncomfortable conversations about what your intentions are. On top of that, you can also filter your searches based on a number of things: location, age, preferences, and even body type. AFF remains one of the top hookup apps in the world for this reason!
Find plenty of hookups on Plenty of Fish
Plenty of Fish has been around for a while, and for a good reason. It consistently works, especially if you put in the time and effort to improve your profile. The great thing about Plenty of Fish is that it’s reliable, reasonably popular, and free. Just keep in mind that there are a handful of inactive profiles there from singles who have made the move to Tinder, eHarmony or Bumble. Despite this, you can still find some hookups on this app.
The Best Free Dating Sites in Minneapolis
Free things are great, like free samples and upgrades, but in most cases, you get what you pay for. This is especially true for dating apps. Free dating apps are fun, but if you want real results, you’re better off with a paid membership.
Paid memberships allow you to access features that can improve your chances of finding your perfect match, like being able to search for specific criteria in a partner. We know plenty of singles, including members of our team, who have had way more success on paid dating apps and sites, so we think it’s an investment.
That being said, you might not be ready to pay for a membership just yet. Instead, try using a free trial or app to test the waters until you’re ready to dive in. Just remember that your results won’t be the same.
Here are some of the best free dating sites in Minneapolis to help you get started:
You can use these apps for free and pay for additional features when you’re ready, making them a great option for those new to online dating.
Using Tinder in Minneapolis
Tinder is one of the most popular dating apps worldwide, especially in Minneapolis. It has a huge userbase of singles ready for casual flings or long-term relationships. It’s mostly known as a hookup app now because of how easy it is to use, but some users may be looking for love. If you’re attractive, you may do better on Tinder than other apps because the app focuses on looks.
Users upload up to 9 pictures, write a short bio, and start swiping. All you need to do is swipe right if you like the person or left if you want to move on. As it’s so easy to use, Tinder has become somewhat of a game. We think it’s a fun app to use and plenty of people have had positive results on it, so why not try it?