Here’s the frustrating thing about online dating: you never really know what to expect. Some niche dating sites are amazing until they’re full of bots. But then there are also some long-standing dating sites that used to be great but are now dating wastelands. This is why you should do a little research before you try out dating apps. And this is also why you need our list of the best dating apps and sites in Ottawa.
Finding the right platform can spell success or disaster for your dating life. So many people have found their significant other with the right app while others are single for years because they keep using the wrong one. We don’t want that to happen to you. So we did the research and reviewed over 150 apps and sites that work in Ottawa. From Barrhaven to Sandy Hill, The Glebe to Westboro, Overbrook to Manotick, these are the options that work!
#1 - Graze (Android; iOS) is one of the best dating apps in Ottawa for those who like video calls
Graze is makes dating so much more personal because of one simple feature: video calling. Sure, lots of other sites have this feature too. But Graze optimizes their video call features to make it so much more fun to talk to new people. It’s one of the best Ottawa dating apps we’ve found because it helps users get to know each other better. So if texting and chatting isn’t for you but you’re not ready to meet up yet, Graze gives you a simple compromise.
Why Graze is worth trying
- You use video calls to start things out instead of just texting
- Although it’s new, it is growing quite fast
- They’re focused on safety and privacy
- You’re less likely to meet catfish here
What we don’t like
- It still lacks a large user-base
- Its rating on Android is quite low
#2 - eHarmony (Android; iOS) is our favorite for long-term relationships
eHarmony is easily the best dating app out there if you want to find a real relationship. The results speak for themselves when 70% all marriages that start online begin on eHarmony. That's really impressive results!
What we've really liked about eHarmony is that it makes things easier for us. We don't have to spend time scrolling through a million profiles, sending a million messages, or deciphering what people want. The app does all of that for you.
If you're tired of apps that lead nowhere you need to try out eHarmony with the links below. It's the best app by far for a real relationship in Ottawa.
Why eHarmony is one of the best dating sites in Ottawa
- The best success rate out there for long-term relationships
- 70% of users find their future spouse within a year
- So much easier to use than other apps
What we don’t like about it
- It definitely takes more time than most to get started
- Not super popular with those 18-22
#3 - Ship (Android; iOS) lets your friends do the dating
So often have couples been brought together by an external force, or in simpler terms, a friend. If you have friends who love to play matchmaker, get them on Ship. This app gets your friends to find matches for you. And since most people trust the judgment of their closest friends, it’s likely that they’ll be experts at finding the right partner for you. When your friends ship you with someone and that someone’s friends ship them with you, then you’ve got a match made in (friendship) heaven!
Why Ship is one of the best Ottawa dating apps
- Your friends might be great at finding the perfect partner for you
- Your friends set up your profile, no extra work for you
- Gorgeous app design
Why Ship isn’t the best
- They have a strong “freemium” business model
- There are a few bugs
- Not great if your friends have bad taste
#4 - AFF is Ottawa's best hookup app
AFF (which has a great free trial) is going to be your first choice if you're looking for the best hookup app in Ottawa. Not only has it been where we've seen single guys get the best results it's also become the most popular hookup app in town. With a lot of locals using it and over 60 million active members there are a lot of options out there for you.
What really sets AFF apart though is that the singles using it aren't just looking for conversation, they actually want to get together. If you've been on any other app where it seems like people just want to collect compliments and boost their egos you're really going to like AFF.
Check out their free trial below if you just want to find something casual with any strings attached. It's the best out there right now.
Why you should try AFF
- They have a massive number of users on their app (over 60 million)
- Where men are doing the best
- Very focused on casual fun
What we don’t like about it
- Many users can only access via web app
- The app is a little dated and not as polished as some others
- Sometimes people are a little TOO upfront with what they want
#5 - Pickable (Android; iOS) is for guys who minimum effort for maximum gain
The concept behind Pickable is simple. You create a profile and mark yourself as pickable. When a woman browses the app and digs you, she can then send you a message. The beauty of this system is that guys can just sit back, relax and wait for the messages to come pouring in. Of course, it helps to have good photos and a fun bio, but it’s a dating app model that can’t possibly fair!
Why Pickable is one of the best dating apps in Ottawa
- Women do all the choosing
- Men will find they don’t get ghosted as much as on other apps
- The app is quite popular
Why it’s not the best
- It has a rating of 2.5/5 on Google Play
- There are a lot of bots
- You’ll likely get messages from women who aren’t your type
#6 - Elite Singles (Android; iOS) one of the best dating sites in Ottawa for professionals
Being a professional such as a lawyer, doctor, influencer, or a litany of other occupations can really soak up a lot of time. Elite Singles allows you to effortlessly find singles who share the same outlook on life - to work hard and integrate their love life as an “on par” with their occupation. Since so many couples break up because they live incompatible lifestyles, Elite Singles helps ensure that you’ll meet someone who values their career as much as you do.
Why we like it
- It’s specifically for field experts or career-focused individuals over 30
- It’s owned by Spark Networks (a company that also owns numerous other successful dating sites).
- There’s an even number of men and women on the site
Why you might not like it
- The site works better than the app
- The design is still quite old
#7 - DOWN (Android; iOS) is one of the best Ottawa dating apps for casual flings
Down may be the new-ish kid on the block, but it’s slowly becoming one of the best apps for finding casual relationships. It works like most popular dating apps in that you swipe through options. You can select “date” if you want to date someone, “hookup” if you just want them for a fling or “skip” if they’re not your type. It’s super simple yet super effective. And while Down may be popular for finding flings, you might end up swiping “date” on someone who swiped “date” on you too!
Why Down works
- Most of the people are on here for hookups
- They’re VERY committed to keeping your information private
- Users have also found success with their dating feature
- You can choose to remain hidden from social media connections
Why Down is “meh”
- While in comparison to other hookup apps there aren’t as many fake users, there still are some from our experience.
- The premium mode can be a bit confusing
- You get only 10 swipes a day on the free version
#8 - Tinder (Android; iOS) is hands down the most well-known dating app
We have concluded that Tinder is by far the best-known dating app, especially amongst the younger generations. It was the OG in implementing pivotal features such as swiping. There are an absolutely inordinate amount of users that speak highly of the app. All in all, if you’re looking for balance in the dating world, hop on Tinder. No doubt it’s one of the best dating apps in Ottawa if you want something quick and pretty easy.
Why Tinder is great
- Tinder is great if you’re looking for a balanced approach to online dating
- There are over 57 million users in total
- Over 20 billion matches have occurred since their initial launch
Why Tinder isn’t that great
- Most users focus too much on looks
- They employ a “freemium” business model
#9 - Hinge (Android; iOS) is the dating app for the young and serious
Hinge combines the young demographic of Tinder and the selective matching of eHarmony. For starters, every profile is detailed and you can leave a “like” or comment on any aspect of these profiles. This helps ensure that users read each other’s profiles instead of just focusing on photos. It caters mostly to 20- and 30-somethings, but it primarily for finding relationships instead of flings. No doubt it’s one of the best dating apps in Ottawa today.
Why Hinge is worth a shot
- It’s for young and serious daters
- They’ve created a research division dedicated to understanding what makes a successful match
- They have a large user-base and great reviews
- Most profiles have a lot of fun and interesting info
Why Hinge isn’t great
- Their discover feed can be buggy
- The best matches are hidden behind a paywall