Calgary is an amazing place to be single. You’ll find lots of other singles all over the city, some looking for love and others looking for something casual. But naturally, going out and meeting all these new people takes some work. While some would hit the bars and clubs, others prefer to use technology to their advantage. And if you’re a fan of the latter, then you should know about the best dating apps and sites in Calgary.
Finding someone online is more than just picking a random app and hoping for the best. You’ll need a little guidance, which we can provide. After testing out over 150 popular apps, we’ve found what works best for Calgary. So whether you’re from Beltline or Hillhurst, Signal Hill or Edgemont, St. Mary’s U or Ambrose, we know which apps will help you find someone special.
#1 - DigDates (Android; iOS) is one of the best dating apps in Calgary for dog lovers
DigDates is all about finding a match who’ll love your dog. Dogs play a huge role in some people’s lives. But in others’, not so much. This is why it’s important for single dog lovers to find other single dog lovers. You don’t want to almost fall head over heels for someone only to find out that they’re allergic or they can’t stand dogs, right? DigDates eliminates this issue since the entire platform was specifically built for anybody with or wanting a dog.
Here’s why it’s great
- DigDates was MADE for dog lovers or those wanting dogs
- You instantly have something in common with everyone on the app
- It’s a fun, low-pressure way to find dates
It’s not the absolute best because
- The filters don’t work that well
- Although the userbase is growing, it’s not that large
#2 - eHarmony (Android; iOS) is the best app for relationships
eHarmony is extremely popular here and has an amazing track record of helping Calgary locals find long-term partners. In fact, 70% of all marriages that start online begin on eHarmony. Pretty impressive right?
In our experience it has been a really consistent way to meet other singles looking for exactly the same things. It has a TON of people in Calgary using it and makes a lot of the most frustrating parts of dating a lot easier.
If you want a REAL relationship and could use a little help making it happen eHarmony is the best option for you.
Why eHarmony is great
- The best success rate out there for long-term relationships
- 70% of users find their future spouse within a year
- Does a lot of the heavy lifting for you
What we don’t like
- It definitely takes more time than most to get started
- Not super popular with those 18-22
#3 - Wingman (Android; iOS) lets your friends do the matching
We’ve heard this story: “Oh, so and so got us to meet up and we hit it off from there!” Now imagine that scenario but online and you’ve got the basic premise of Wingman. As one of the best Calgary dating apps for friends who love to play matchmaker, it’s one of the easiest ways to find a date. Your friends sign you up, and they do the matching for you. Once your friends find you a good match, you and your match can begin talking. It’s ingenious.
Why Wingman is one of the best dating apps in Calgary
- Your friends do the matching
- It’s consistently updated
- The user base is growing fast
Why it’s not the best
- It can be quite buggy
- If you don’t trust your friends’ tastes in dates, you’ll hate this
#4 - AFF is Calgary's best hookup app
AFF is the best hookup app in Calgary right now and it's not really close. Tinder is decent but now it's more of just another dating app and isn't really focused on shorter-term fun. AFF is 100% focused on more casual fun in the bedroom and does a great job of helping you find it.
It's become really popular in Calgary and has over 60 million active users (that's a lot). The people using it seem a lot more willing to meet up than most of the other apps we've tried and it has led to much better results, especially for single guys.
Give their free trial a shot below and see why it's growing so fast.
Why AFF is one of the best dating sites in Calgary
- Tons of Calgary users and really popular in general (over 60 million)
- Where single men are doing the best
- It’s very straightforward and easy to use
What we don’t like about it
- Many users can only access via web app
- The app is a little dated and not as polished as some others
- Sometimes people are a little TOO upfront with what they want
#5 - Silver Singles(Android; iOS) is one of the best dating sites in Calgary for people over 50
Silver Singles helps older singles navigate the world of online dating without making it intimidating. For a long time, anybody over the age of 50 has had a very difficult time finding someone else their age who also happens to be single. With Silver Singles, you can be sure that the people you’ll meet are around your age. And the best thing is that the site also helps ou find matches based on your personality and preferences. It doesn’t get easier than that!
Why we love it
- It’s an exclusive platform for mature singles
- The site is owned by Spark Networks – a reputable company that also owns numerous other successful dating platforms
- Their personality test works super well
Why we don’t like it
- The site is much better than the app
- The personality test takes a while to answer
#6 - Raya (iOS) is one of the best Calgary dating apps for anyone with a huge following
We’re just gonna cut straight to it: you will not be allowed on Raya if you have under 5000 followers on Instagram. I know, it sounds sort of weird, but you have to look at it from another perspective. Celebrities and influencers tend to live a certain lifestyle that makes it hard for them to date. This is why they prefer to date someone who can relate and also won’t just use them for money. This is the beauty of Raya: it’s so exclusive that only influential singles are allowed in to level the playing field.
Why Raya is great
- One of the best dating apps in Calgary for the rich and famous
- Each and every user is verified so there aren’t any fake accounts
- Despite how targeted it is, the app is growing in user-base VERY quickly
Why Raya isn’t that great
- You need to have a huge following
- To use the service you MUST pay monthly
#7 - Hinge (Android; iOS) is for young, serious daters
Hinge is super cool. Not only does it have an enormous userbase, but it’s also a mix of fun swiping and serious algorithms to help you find a match. There’s more; it specifically targets people in their mid-20s who want something serious (their motto is literally “designed to be deleted”). With that being said, if you’re young and want something that’s NOT casual, this app was made for you.
Why Hinge is one of the best Calgary dating apps
- It’s mainly for serious dating
- Most of the users are in their mid-20s or so
- Their team is constantly updating the app to better fit the needs of users
- User profiles are fun to read and most users actually read them
What we don’t like
- Their “discover” feature isn’t all that functional sometimes
- “Best matches” is only accessible once you pay
#8 - CoffeMeetsBagel (Android; iOS) the dating app built to even the dating field
CBL (CoffeeMeetsBagel) was created to pull more women into dating apps. The creators, three women, saw that there was a problem with so many more guys being on dating apps and started to wonder why. So they did their research and found startling statistics such as men being 85% more active on these platforms than women.
That’s when they created CBL. This app gives women 6 of the most quality matches every day at noon. As they say, quality over quantity. It’s up to the women to choose who they want to entertain and that makes them more active on the app.
Why CBL is amazing
- It was designed to give women more quality matches
- There are over a million users
- Swiping sort of makes people a commodity, so CBL has completely done away with that feature
Why it’s not the best
- The built-in chat is buggy
- The account-system isn’t the greatest (some users report losing their profiles out of nowhere)
#9 - Hily (Android; iOS) breaks the ice
Hily has built-in features such as ice-breakers, video calls and compatibility checks, so you won’t have an issue finding something to talk about. The great thing about this app is that it makes video calling so accessible. No need to exchange contact details since you can do it all in the app. Add to that the fact that video calling is a more personal, more human way to get to know each other. Oh, and did we mention that it’s almost impossible to catfish someone on Hily thanks to the video calls and verification?
Why Hily is worth a shot
- One of the best dating apps in Calgary if you hate just texting
- Video chatting helps you get to know your matches
- ALL of the users are verified
- You get video prompts so you won’t run out of stuff to say
What we don’t like
- Most features are behind a paywall
- Sometimes you see matches that are SUPER far away
- Not everyone is a fan of video chatting