Are you dating in Tucson and getting frustrated? Whether you’re looking in downtown Tucson, the suburbs, and the rest of the metropolitan area, you’re certainly not the only one that thinks “How can I find a partner in Tucson?” and spend yet another weekend getting frustrated.
At first glance, it seems like single men and women are spoiled for choice in Arizona when it comes to finding a variety of available partners. However, the reality of actually meeting single people in Tucson and setting up a date is tougher than ever since the start of the pandemic.
We are here to show you the way. With some minor planning and a little effort on your part, finding a date in Tucson is actually much easier than in other similar cities. The only catch? You’ll have to explore the vastness of the Tucson dating scene. Heading out to an unfamiliar Tucson restaurant or feeling comfortable at an art fair doesn't exactly sound like the start of a great romance, but you’ll be surprised at what changing your entire outlook can mean!
Read on to find the most proven suggestions on where to meet Tucson singles, great Tucson date ideas to find your bearings, dating apps that give you an advantage, and some of our favorite date spots around Tucson.
What Dating in Tucson Is Like Right Now
First, let's set some expectations about what the Tucson dating scene is actually like:
In all honesty, the dating scene in Tucson has always been pretty turbulent and the pandemic certainly made things worse. Many young singles choose Tucson for its perfect desert climate, a diverse set of high-paying industries, and a cost of living that’s below comparable cities in Arizona, like Phoenix and Flagstaff. With many establishments here like Raytheon, the University of Arizona, and the Air Force, new people are constantly moving to Tucson for its economic opportunities.
There is also quite a bit of diversity in the type of partners you can find here, especially for Arizona, which makes finding exactly what you are looking for that much more attainable.
Here’s a breakdown of what Tucson’s single demographics look like:
- Total population: 535,236
- Percentage single: 36.20%
- Total singles: 193,755
- Single men: 95,399
- Single women: 98,356
With 36.20% of the total population looking for a partner (that includes you!), you only need to cross paths with 1 out of 3 people to find a potential match. Not bad odds, right?.
Now, we know what you’re thinking:
If there are so many singles out there in Tucson, why am I single?
Well, having an abundance of potential dating options doesn't mean that dating in Tucson is going to be easy. In fact, a larger dating pool means more competition and people will be more selective about who they choose. Having a realistic outlook will certainly help you.
Where to Meet Someone to Date in Tucson
At BeyondAges, we’ll always be honest with you so you can actually get success. And in our honest opinion, it is impossible to make a comprehensive list of the best places to find someone to date in Tucson! There’s simply too much to choose from on any given day - and some businesses, unfortunately, struggle to keep their doors open due to the pandemic.
Plus, depending on the type of person you're looking for (ie. artsy, academic, outdoorsy, etc.), your search will take you to different neighborhoods in Tucson and venues geared towards those who enjoy funky dive bars, for example, versus those that appeal to a more luxurious crowd.
Instead, we’ll share some of the best places that make it much simpler to meet Tucson singles that are looking for more than just a one-night stand (we have a comprehensive article on where to find Tucson hookups if you’re into that sort of thing). These are places that tend to have the following criteria in common when you’re on the lookout for candidates for serious relationships:
- Plenty of singles hang out there
- Features a lively atmosphere conducive to fun
- Easy to mingle with new people
- Quiet enough to actually have an intimate conversation
- Alcohol is always a plus
- Relatively inexpensive
These six criteria are very useful when meeting up with other available Tucson singles. If you’re deciding on a new place, don’t be afraid to do your own research and see how often these hold true for your dating success in Tucson.
Now, before we get into some specific recommendations, let's quickly turn our attention to apps:
Why you should be using at least one app
Are you using at least one dating app right now? How about 2 or 3?
If the answer is “no”, then you're really missing out on who’s out there in the Tucson dating scene. Each app comes with its own user base, so you can almost think of dating apps as “virtual bars” - and the variety you’ll find at a dive bar is certainly not the same that you’d find in an upscale hotel bar. And the more you use an app, the greater the number of singles you have a chance to meet PLUS those you choose to meet in the real world.
Does this mean that dating apps in Tucson are the only way to go? Of course not, but dating in Tucson can be a struggle if you only have a limited amount of free time, and/or simply just want to save some money.
If you've struggled in the past with choosing which app works for you, check out our rankings of the best dating apps in Tucson to find out which apps best fit the type of partner and relationship you’re looking for. From young professionals to Christian-oriented individuals, and those who are DTF, there’s plenty of options among apps to choose from. That being said, if you don’t want to read the full article, here’s a brief summary of your best options:
- eHarmony is the best choice for long-term relationships in Tucson. 7 out of 10 dedicated users on eHarmony are married within one year - try eHarmony today for a free trial!
- AFF is made for finding casual fun with privacy, variety, and security all taken care of - a free trial is available, too! Out of all the apps out there for finding casual fun, and we've tried over 100, this his been the one we're we've seen the best success, especially when it comes to single guys.
Don’t be afraid to use multiple dating apps and try different ones. They’re all pretty cheap - for the cost of a cover fee on a weekend, you usually get unlimited access to singles. Upper-tier subscriptions mean more features and better results, so they’re pretty much “you get what you pay for”.
Now, let's talk about our favorite spots around Tucson.
The best singles bars in Tucson
We've narrowed down a concise list of the best singles bars in Tucson where you’re guaranteed to run into other singles looking for someone like you.
These bars offer the best chances for women and men to meet up by chance, have a drink together, and enjoy a comfortable atmosphere that makes meeting new people easy (ie. it has outdoor bench seating).
- The Shelter Bar in The Garden District - 4155 E Grant Rd, Tucson, AZ 85712
- SideCar in Sam Hughes - 139 S Eastbourne Ave, Tucson, AZ 85716
- Pueblo Vida Brewing Company in Downtown Tucson - 115 E Broadway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85701
- Sky Bar Tucson in West University - 536 N 4th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85705
- R Bar in Downtown Tucson - 350 E Congress St #110, Tucson, AZ 85701
- Visit Club Congress if you want to meet a Tucson cougar - 311 E Congress St, Tucson, AZ 85701
Don’t forget that Tucson singles bars are all about syncing up at the right time of day or during popular events (ie. ladies' night, service industry night SIN, happy hour), as well as the preference for different age groups (younger people prefer the night, older people the day). If you have any suggestions about the best singles bars in Tucson that we may have missed, drop a comment below.
A few other great places to find a date in Tucson
Not everyone is a fan of getting inebriated in a barroom when meeting new people. While drinking establishments can be a great place to meet other Tucson singles, it’s not the only option.
As with anything dating-related, it helps to be open-minded. Don't take things too seriously, and just focus on having a good time - even if that means playing some board games at a coffee shop or chatting about what a stranger is reading. You just might find someone that you might not run into elsewhere in Tucson - plus, no headaches and hangovers!
- Yellow Brick Coffee in Dodge Industrial - 3220 S Dodge Blvd #1, Tucson, AZ 85713
- Café con Leche in Santa Rita Park - 1439 S 4th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85713
- Caffe Luce in Downtown Tucson - 245 E Congress St, Tucson, AZ 85701
- Cartel Roasting Co. in Dowtown Tucson - 210 E Broadway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85701
- Cafe Maggie in West University - 745 N 4th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85705
- Whole Foods, AJ’s Fine Foods, or Trader Joe’s are great choices to find, attractive people shopping upscale and organic!
- Meetup groups - There are tons of groups throughout Tucson that are full of eager singles looking to share their interests, including music, hobbies, tech, sports, and even mixer events for finding your next match
- Again, apps and dating websites are always a great option for just about anyone (check out the best dating sites in Tucson here)
The Apps Dating Coaches Recommend Most For Dating in Tucson
Meet more women and go on more dates by using technology to your advantage. These are the dating apps that we’ve learned are incredibly popular with women. Try out at least one of them and you might just find yourself overwhelmed with matches and dates. Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
Site Our Experience Our Rating Free Trial Link Experience Highlights Try eHarmony Experience Highlights Try AFF For Free Tinder Highlights Try Tinder
What about speed dating in Tucson
The speed dating industry in Tucson is thriving due in large part to the pandemic. With virtual speed dating now available and everyone being cooped up under lockdowns for so long, single people want to make the most of their lost time.
If you're busy and have some spare cash (events usually cost about $40 - $80 to attend an event), speed dating in Tucson is the most efficient way to “play the numbers” and meet lots of people in a short amount of time.
Here’s how speed dating events in Tucson work:
- Reregister before the event starts. You’ll receive a reservation and some guidelines so you know what to expect.
- Second, once everyone arrives, the host reads the rules to start the process of "mini-dates", each of which lasts around 5 minutes.
- During the mini-dates, your goals is to feel each other out and see if you make a good match. The idea is that first impressions tend to be a good indicator of whether there’s a spark. Positive interactions are marked on a card, indicating who you hit it off with and who wasn’t the right match. If both singles want to see each other again, the speed dating organizer gives you the other match’s contact info (usually by the next day).
- Once 5 minutes have elapsed, the men typically move to the next table where a woman remains seated (sometimes women swap just so they don’t get tired).
- This process repeats until the entire event finishes or until everyone gets a chance to meet one another.
If this sounds like a fun and efficient way to meet new singles in Tucson, the following are the best Tucson speed dating groups:
Now that we’ve covered the essentials of finding dates, let's jump into how to have a great date in Tucson!
Our Best Date Ideas in Tucson - and Why They’re Great
Once you've met someone a special someone who said “yes” to a date, it’s time to plan a date to develop a relationship (or find out if they’re a poor match!). Many Tucson singles default to the classic “dinner and a movie” and that's a big mistake for modern dating in Tucson! Here’s why:
- A dinner between two strangers often turns into a pseudo-interview. Plus, eating makes people lethargic.
- A movie doesn’t involve any conversation in a darkened theatre, making it pretty bad if you’re with stuck next to someone you don’t actually like that much (or the movie might stink, too!).
We have a better solution. Use the following rules for better date ideas in Tucson:
- Doesn’t require traveling far or isn’t in an isolated location
- Focuses on fun, novel,, and interesting experiences
- Things are happening around you that make great conversation topics
- Doesn't involve sitting face-to-face for a long time
- Requires a little physical activity or moving around
- Isn't too expensive
- Doesn’t requires expensive equipment to participate
- Doesn't last for hours (you can bail if you’re not feeling it)
- Allows both of you to feel comfortable
- Features a little friendly competition
It’s best to keep an open mind when selecting an activity that fits these parameters. While you may enjoy a solo activity, the purpose of a date is to create a memorable experience that you both share in common or find interesting. Even if things aren’t fun or not what you expected, you can share an experience, laugh about it together, and build bonds that form the basis of a serious relationship.
To get started, here are some great dating ideas in Tucson:
- Ice skating
- Miniature golf
- Take a dance class together
- Go for a bike ride
- Hike Tucson’s many trails (bring sunscreen!)
- Shoot some arrows at an archery range
- Hit some golf balls at the driving range
- Watch animals at the local zoo, nursery, or wildlife refuge
- Check out a street fair (Tucson have tons)
- Going to a farmer’s market
- Try your hand at axe throwing
- Try out Escape rooms
- Go gowling
- Take a walk with your dog somewhere fun (if either of you has one)
- Attend a live painting class (preferably with some booze to loosen up)
- Explore a museum
- Visit a botanical garden
Use this list to plan a date in Tucson or at least get an idea of what other singles in Tucson are actually doing on their dates. Each of the above activities doesn't require basic athletic skills to enjoy or at least attempt, so there’s little to no pressure to be good at any of them - plus, it’s fun to discover your new date is really good at throwing an axe!
The first date idea that we always recommend
The ideas above can be great first dates but we have a better idea. When people ask our team what the best first date in Tucson is we always tell them the same thing, meet up at a laid-back lounge or coffee shop and get to know each other a bit.
A full-blown date is a lot of pressure and isn't cheap. It takes time to plan and might involve you taking a bus around town to get there. Before you make that kind of investment you want to know that you and your interest have at least some level of compatibility. The last thing you want is to get stuck for hours on a date that you knew 10 minutes in, wasn't going anywhere.
Instead, tell them that you're really busy but would love to meet up for a drink to get to know each other a bit. If things go well you can always extend the date to one of the activities above. If it doesn't, you haven't lost much. This also takes a lot of pressure off both of you so you can both relax and be yourselves.
Best Date Bars in Tucson (Especially for Fun First Dates)
Going out to all of the great bars in Tucson is certainly a fun way to relax in a typically “neutral” atmosphere, where you can get to know new people and have a charming setting among like-minded people.
That being said, finding a great date bar in the Tucson metro area is pretty simple when you consider just how many bar options there are. Whether you’re looking for a dive bar where you can let your hair down, an elegant cocktail lounge, or even a “barcade”, Tucson has plenty of variety to impress your new acquaintance.
Take a look at the list below, as we’ll focus on Tucson bars with the best drink specials, live entertainment, a vibrant crowd, and more:
- Cobra Arcade Bar Tucson in Historic Fourth Avenue - 63 E Congress St, Tucson, AZ 85701
- Che's Lounge in Historic Fourth Avenue - 350 N 4th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85705
- The Scented Leaf Tea House & Lounge in Downtown Tucson - 308 E Congress St, Tucson, AZ 85701
- HighWire Tucson in Downtown Tucson - 14 S Arizona Ave, Tucson, AZ 85701
- The Red Light Lounge at the Downtown Clifton - 485 S Stone Ave, Tucson, AZ 85701
- The Jackrabbit Lounge in Ocotillo Oracle - 2000 N Oracle Rd, Tucson, AZ 85705
- The Edge A Tucson Bar in Pomona - 4635 N Flowing Wells Rd, Tucson, AZ 85705
Tucson’s unique city planning makes it so that you’ll find plenty of neighborhood bars grouped together. Even if the bars listed above aren’t popping at a particular time or maybe the vibe isn’t right, don’t be afraid to grab an Uber or go for a walk to another bar to keep things interesting!
Best Date Night Restaurants in Tucson that Should Be Your First Choice
One of the most common mistakes of dating in Tucson is picking a traditional dinner date. Why?
Speaking from experience, dinner dates in Tucson tend to be pretty formulaic, even among all of Tucson’s incredible food options and unique settings. Having relative strangers try to make a connection over drinks, appetizers, desserts, and plenty of refills is hard enough. Plus, there’s always this issue of picking up the check - which can be a bit disastrous before you’re fully sure you like the person, to begin with!
However, if you’ve become acquainted with your date or just want a date night restaurant in Tucson to eat at before doing something more active, the following are perfect restaurant choices that won’t break the bank:
- Wildflower in Chula Vista Ranch - 7037 N Oracle Rd, Tucson, AZ 85704
- Guiseppe's in Orange Grove Plaza - 6060 N Oracle Rd, Tucson, AZ 85704
- Chef Alisah's Restaurant in Orange Grove Plaza - 5931 N Oracle Rd, Tucson, AZ 85704
- Caruso's in West University - 434 N 4th Ave, Tucson, AZ 85705
- Maynards in Downtown Tucson - 400 N Toole Ave, Tucson, AZ 85701
- Charro Steak & Del Rey in Downtown Tucson - 188 E Broadway Blvd 85701
More Date Spots in Tucson We Love
You’re probably aware that dating is more than just eating, drinking, and people-watching. The quality of a successful date in Tucson means taking advantage of all that the city has to offer (and there’s almost too much fun to list!). Based on our experience and research, singles in Tucson have had great dates at the following date spots in Tucson - and we're absolutely confident you can do the same:
- Go ice skating at Tucson Ice Rink at TCC
- Watch the Saguaros play at War Memorial Stadium
- Visit Tucson Museum of Art and The Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures for one-of-a-kind exhibits and events
- Check out some fascinating wildlife at the Reid Park Zoo
- Try a group dance lesson at Dream Dance Tucson
- Shoot some targets together at Tucson Mountain Park Archery Range
- Stroll through vendor booths at the many art fairs throughout Tucson
- Shop for fresh groceries and taste homemade food at Tucson’s many Farmers Markets
- Solve a puzzle at Ace of Escape - Downtown Tucson's Escape Room
- Catch live music, ballet, and more at Rialto Theatre
Note: Because of Tucson drastically-changing weather and varying outdoor temperatures, make sure to take a look at weather forecasts before plotting your next date. No one likes getting sunburnt, nor do they enjoy shivering in cooler temperatures on what’s supposed to be a fun, relaxing date!