To be single in Toronto is to be always on the verge of a new adventure. At least, it is if you’re someone who is willing to put yourself out there and try new things. This is a city of millions of people with countless ways to spend an evening. On any given day, your next adventure may only be a few swipes away. Assuming, that is, you’re using the best dating apps in Toronto.
Unfortunately, that’s not always so easily done. With new sites and apps appearing weekly and hundreds – if not thousands – of existing ones, online dating can be confounding. If you’re a student at UToronto, do you use Tinder or is there a better app? What if you’re looking to date, but you have children? How do you know which sites and apps are right for you?
Simple, you keep reading. This list has something for everyone, whether you spend your nights in the Entertainment District or out in the suburbs. Good luck out there, and be sure to comment below to let us know which ones worked for you.
#1 - Chorus (Android; iOS) is one of the best dating apps in Toronto that lets your friends in on the fun
Before online dating was the norm, people used to meet potential partners through mutual acquaintances. If you’re under 30, we may have just blown your mind, but it’s true. It wasn’t a perfect system, but there was something nice about being able to rely on a friend’s wisdom. Chorus is a throwback to how it used to be, but with the modern convenience of a dating app.
When you sign up to Chorus, you can invite your friends to be matchmakers. They are the ones who decide who you match with, and they help you navigate the field. It’s a classic spin on a modern app. After months (or years) of online dating, maybe you’ve come to the conclusion you don’t know what you want. Well, more often than not, your friends do, so put the decision in their hands.
Why Chorus is making dating in Toronto better
- Letting your friends pick your matches takes a lot of the pressure off
- The app is completely free and looks to stay that way for the foreseeable future
- Alternatively, try their “Dating Roulette” option and let the fates decide for you
What you might not enjoy about it
- Not many people have heard of it, so the app doesn’t have a huge user base yet
- If you like more control over your love life, this isn’t the app for you
#2 - eHarmony (Android; iOS) is the best option for real relationships
eHarmony is extremely popular here and has an amazing track record of helping Toronto locals find long-term partners by using matching algorithms. This app does the best job of matching you up with compatible potential mates that we've seen and consistently delivers.
In fact, 70% of all marriages that begin online started with eHarmony. Those are pretty insane results!
You don't have to scroll for hours. The app does all of the tough work for you. Of course, you might not make a perfect connection outside of the algorithms. Usually, it works like magic. The toughest part is answering all of the questions. It's important because this is how they match you with other single people. You can build chemistry before you even meet.
If you're serious about finding long-term partners, this is the site for you.
Why eHarmony is one of the best dating sites in Toronto
- The best success rate out there for long-term relationships
- 70% of users find their future spouse within a year
- Makes it pretty easy to form connections
What we don’t like about it
- It definitely takes more time than most to get started
- Not super popular with those 18-22
#3 - OurTime (Android; iOS) has become one of the best dating sites in Toronto for anyone 50+
OurTime is the dating app for people 50 and over who are sick of wasting their time. So much of the dating scene throughout Ontario is all about quick matches and even quicker evenings. If you’re someone who prefers to slow down and get to know someone, this is the site for you.
One of the best things about dating in the second half of your life is there’s far less game-playing. With a user base predominantly made up of people in their 50s and 60s, OurTime helps you create real connections. Whether you’re starting over after a long-term relationship or settling down for the first time, there are options aplenty.
Have you been resisting online dating because you’ve heard horror stories? Let us put your mind at ease. For anyone over 50, OurTime is one of the best dating sites in Toronto.
Why OurTime is a great option
- Most users are over 50, so you’ll find people with whom you have much in common
- You can add a video or audio message to your profile for a more personal touch
- The people on the site are looking for something real and lasting
Why you should give it a pass
- If you’re under 50, you can technically sign up, but there are better options for you
- It’s free to browse, but you’ll want to pay for a subscription for actual results
#4 - AFF is the best hookup app in Toronto
AFF has been the top hookup app in Toronto for a year or two now. Tinder used to be the best but it's more about relationships now and less about more casual fun. AFF is the only big hookup app in Toronto that is actually worth using at this point.
If you're just looking for some casual fun and don't want a long-term commitment AFF should be your first choice. It's also where we've seen guys find the best success since it isn't full of people who just want compliments or attention. Singles actually want to meet up!
Why you should try AFF
- They have a massive number of users on their app (over 60 million)
- We’ve seen guys have the best success using it, especially those who aren’t super good looking and didn’t do well on Tinder
- It’s very straightforward and easy to use
What we don’t like about it
- Many users can only access via web app
- The app is a little dated and not as polished as some others
- Sometimes people are a little TOO upfront with what they want
#5 - Heybaby (iOS) is how single parents re-enter the dating world
Maybe you’re recently coming off of a divorce. Or perhaps you’ve been waiting to get back to dating until your kid was old enough to stay home alone. There are a million reasons why a single parent may be testing the dating waters again. For many, though, the prospect of getting back on the dating scene is terrifying. It doesn’t have to be with Heybaby in your corner.
We’ll go so far as to say Heybaby is the best Toronto dating apps for single parents. It’s just as great if you’re someone who doesn’t have children but hope to have them in the future. This is the app for anyone whose priority is their children – the current ones, or those you’ll have someday. Knowing that everyone on the app understands your priorities takes so much of the pressure off.
Why you should download Heybaby
- You won’t have to avoid (or lie about) the subject of your children
- If having children is on your to-do-soon list, this is one of the first apps you should try
- The users are more serious, so there’s less ghosting and unanswered messages
Why you shouldn’t bother
- If you have no interest in parenthood, there is absolutely no reason to be on this app
- As of now, it’s only available for Apple, so Android single parents are out of luck
#6 - EliteSingles (Android, iOS) is an online social scene for educated adults
With a name like EliteSingles, it’s safe to say this dating site isn’t worried about being modest. This is the site for Torontonians who have attained a high level of education and career success. For that reason, most of the users are in their 30s or 40s and have their lives together. Does that describe you? Then you’ll find it refreshing to find so many like-minded people on one site.
If you’ve tried the other dating sites, one thing you’ve probably found is that not everyone shares your drive. That’s fine, of course, everyone has their own path to walk in life. But if you’ve dedicated yourself to professional success, chances are you want someone who appreciates that. Give it a try and find a partner who shares your ambition.
Why Elite Singles is one of the best Toronto dating apps
- The ideal dating site for anyone who puts a high priority on education
- The introductory questionnaire is a useful way to express your personality type
- Easily one of the highest quality dating sites in Toronto for people between 30 and 50
Why you should skip it
- You can’t limit the distance filter to less than 50 miles, which is essentially useless
- There is no free version of the site
#7 - Bumble (Android; iOS) is one of the best Toronto dating apps for women
Dating in this city can be exciting and sexy, but it can also be challenging and, yes, scary. Every woman we know has a story of a dating app encounter that went real sour real fast. For any woman who has ever received a too-insistent message from a would-be-suitor, Bumble has come to the rescue. With this app, ladies are in control of the interactions.
On the surface, Bumble is not much different from Tinder. You still swipe based mostly on photos and a brief bio. The main difference – and what a difference it is – is that female users must message first to initiate a conversation. Not only does it give ladies more control over their experience, but it also lets men be the pursued for once. Win/win, we say.
Why Bumble is one of the best dating apps in Toronto for women and men
- Women can swipe at their leisure without having to immediately respond to dozens of messages
- The users of both sexes tend to be more serious about real relationships
- For any guy that struggles with finding a good opening line, this app is a relief
Why it could still be better
- For an app ostensibly about serious dating, profiles are still pretty focused on looks
- Women only have 24 hours to message before a match disappears, which isn’t that long
#8 - Coffee Meets Bagel (Android, iOS) simplifies online dating
The greatest dating apps take the existing formula and tweak it just enough to add an extra level of success. Like Bumble, Coffee Meets Bagel is an app that feels immediately familiar but changes the game enough to stand out. CMB is geared toward ensuring quality matches over quantity. It does this by limiting likes and encouraging quicker in-person meetups.
Guys are given a list of up to 21 “bagels” each day, and they can like them or pass. If you like someone, you have the option to send a message with the like. If the two of you match, you can continue to chat, but there’s a catch. You have seven days to chat via the in-app messenger, and then the match disappears. It’s a great way to ensure neither one of you wastes the other one’s time.
What Coffee Meets Bagel does right
- Helps eliminate the problem of too many choices
- One of the best dating apps in Toronto for women, which is why they actually outnumber men on CMB
- The seven-day chat limit encourages people to actually meet in the real world
Why it might not be right for you
- If you’re someone who prefers staying mysterious on your profile, you probably won’t get many likes
- The matching criteria is pretty basic so you can’t get very specific
#9 - Facebook Dating (Android; iOS) gives you a reason to keep your FB account open
Almost all the best dating sites in Toronto do one thing very well. They create an online space where strangers can really get to know each other. If that sounds a bit like a social networking site, then you’ll understand why we think Facebook Dating is superb. As the only officially dating app created by Facebook, users can learn about each other in detail before meeting.
Everyone is sick of going on a hundred bad dates with essentially complete strangers. With Facebook Dating, you bring over as much of your Facebook info as you want to fill out your profile. In that way, it’s one of the most detail-oriented dating apps we’ve ever tried. Plus, it’s free, which is truly impressive.
And don’t worry: your second cousins throughout Ontario won’t be able to see your dating profile.
Why Facebook Dating is so impressive
- With everyone and their mom on Facebook already, the potential matches are almost limitless
- You’ve already got all the details and photos you could want to include on your main FB account
- It’s definitely one of the best dating apps in Toronto that’s actually 100% free
What we don’t like about it
- The dating features are only available through the Facebook app on your phone
- Lots of 20-year-olds are bypassing Facebook these days, so the dating pool is a bit older