If you’ve been single for a long time or have recently reentered the scene, online dating can seem daunting. With so many competitors, it can feel like a never-ending quest to find the best dating apps in San Jose. It doesn’t have to be, though, because we’re here to help sort through the noise.
Even once you discard the scam apps and sites, it still takes effort to find the best for you personally. After all, if you’re a student at SJSU, you’re looking for something different than a single parent in Almaden Valley. Luckily, with so many young and outgoing people abandoning SF for us, dating options are plentiful.
After investigating countless apps and sites, we can confidently say these are the best in San Jose. Keep reading and we guarantee you’ll find at least one that hits the sweet spot for you.
#1 – Elite Singles (Android, iOS) is a great dating app in San Jose for educated singles
For many in the college-educated set, dating can be frustratingly unfulfilling. You’ve worked hard to achieve a high level of success in your field. You understandably want to be with someone who appreciates what that takes and why it matters. If that’s you, then Elite Singles will be one of the best dating apps in San Jose.
Most of the users on Elite Singles are between 30 and 50, meaning they have ambition and maturity. A lot of younger people use dating apps for free meals and drinks; that’s not an issue on this app. When you meet someone from Elite Singles, you can count on having a date of stimulating conversation and genuine interest.
The best reasons to choose Elite Singles
- It’s one of the premier dating apps for people over 30
- A great way for people with higher educations to meet
- The app has a nearly perfect 50/50 gender ratio
Why you should skip it
- If you’re in your 20s and just looking for something carefree, this isn’t the best app
- The membership plans can get pricey
#2 - eHarmony (Android; iOS) is the best dating site in San Jose for serious relationships
While it might seem old fashioned in the digital age, plenty of online daters are seeking relationships with long-term potential. On eHarmony, it’s not only possible to meet someone who wants a meaningful relationship, it’s the whole point of the site. If you're tired of dating around and really want to find someone with potential this is the best dating site in San Jose.
The secret to eHarmony’s matchmaking success (75% of all marriages that start online start with them) that its extremely popular in San Jose and it will do a lot of the hard work for you. You've probably seen the commercials or know couples that met using it, it's all over the place.
Unlike most other sites eHarmony does the hard work of finding matches for you that actually fit your preferences. You get a handfull of really good matches every day so you don't have to spend hours scrolling through profiles.
We haven't found a site with users who are more committed to finding quality matches and we're confident that it's the best app in San Jose right now. Check them out below and see how it goes.
Why eHarmony is one of the best dating sites in San Jose
- It is perhaps the best dating site in all of California for true, lasting love
- Incredible success rates with 70% of people who use it for a year finding their future spouse
- The site’s algorithm and sign-up process helps weed out people who aren’t serious
- For shy people, eHarmony has an icebreaker function that makes starting a conversation easy
Why it might not be right for you
- There’s no reason to waste your time if you aren’t after a serious relationship
- It can take a little time to get going – as love can – so it isn’t ideal for the impatient
#3 - Tastebuds (iOS) plays the music of your heart
Tastebuds is one of our favorite dating apps, simply because the idea is so brilliantly simple. The app is all about meeting people based on your musical tastes. For a lot of us, there is no greater indication of chemistry than taste in music. It’s frankly so obvious an idea, we’re surprised it took as long as it did for it to be done.
One cool thing about using Tastebuds in San Jose is that this is a great city for live music. That means you’ll not only match with a potential partner, you’ll find someone to go to a show with you. Plus, meeting people with similar tastes is a fantastic way to learn about other great music. Even if you don’t discover true love, you may just find your new favorite band
Why Tastebuds is worth trying
- There is no better dating app for music obsessives
- Great for meeting romantic partners and friends
- Talking about music is an easy way to break the ice
What we don’t like about it
- The designers are still working out some of the kinks in the app
- There isn’t an Android version, yet
#4 - AFF is the best hookup app in San Jose
AFF is the best hookup app in San Jose right now, even better than Tinder. If you're one of the many guys who hasn't had much luck on Tinder you absolutely need to check out their free trial below. We haven't found any other app that works nearly as well for men.
When you combine a ton of local users (and over 50 million total) you're going to find a lot of options. AFF also has a singular focus on being the best hookup site around. It's actually based out of the North Bay so they know what it takes.
Unlike other hookup apps, we've found AFF to be mostly filled with people who actually want to meet, not the attention divas that seem to plague Tinder. Women use AFF because they actually want to meet guys, not to bolster their ego.
Check them out and see just how much better it is.
Why you should try AFF
- They have a massive number of users on their app (over 50 million)
- Guys do surprisingly well here, even normal dudes
- Far fewer time wasters
What we don’t like about it
- Many users can only access via web app
- They have too many ads
#5 - OkCupid (Android; iOS) is a great free dating site
These days, almost all dating sites and apps require you to pay before you get much useful functionality. That’s not the case with OkCupid. As one of the original casual dating sites, OKC has been helping singles connect for years. It’s essentially a catch-all site, so you’ll meet people looking for casual flings and real relationships.
What really sets OKC apart, though, is just how much fun it is. Back in the day, they used to have random quizzes you could fill out to kill the time. These days, the quizzes are gone but you still answer interesting questions to help you find better matches. It’s an enjoyable user experience, and most importantly, it’s free to use.
Why we recommend OkCupid
- With a wide assortment of users, it’s among the best dating apps in San Jose
- It’s free, so even if you don’t meet someone right away, you’re not losing out
- It’s a site that’s very LGBTQ-friendly and open to varied gender expression
Why it needs some improvement
- There are a lot of “zombie” profiles from users that have stopped checking in
- It’s been around a long time, so it doesn’t have the hype of something hip and new
#6 - Pickable (Android; iOS) prioritizes a woman’s needs
Pickable is the dating app so many women have been waiting for. More than any other site or app we’ve seen, this one truly puts the woman in control. To meet guys on this app, a woman doesn’t have to provide her name, her age or even a photo. Instead, female users are able to sort through potential dates with the safety and comfort of anonymity.
If you’re a professional woman who is worried about being spotted on dating sites, this is perfect. It’s also a great way to make sure you don’t get any creepy stalkers or rude matches. Are you a guy and wondering what’s in it for you? Well, we’d say the fact Pickable draws a more sophisticated and discerning class of woman is pretty appealing.
Why Pickable is a great choice
- For women, this is easily one of the best dating sites in San Jose, and the safest
- The users tend to be a more serious and interesting bunch
- Allows female users anonymity
Why you might be better off skipping it
- It’s a fairly new app, which means it’s still pretty barebones in terms of features
- If you’re a guy just looking for some T&A, this isn’t your app
#7 - Heybaby (iOS) understands single parents
Re-entering the dating scene after becoming a parent can be a difficult task. You have to sort through people who don’t want to date a single parent or those who don’t like kids. Even if you meet someone who is fine with you having a kid, they might not get your priorities. Which is why, if you are a single parent, Heybaby could be the best dating app in San Jose.
Designed specifically for people who have kids – as well as for people who want kids soon – Heybaby is a blast. Really. Too many sites intended for finding genuine relationships can feel clinical, but this app has a sense of whimsy. Want a future with kids in it – either the ones you have now or the ones you’ll have some day? Then download Heybaby and meet like-minded singles.
Why Heybaby is worth a look
- If you’re a single parent, you can meet other single parents who understand the joys and struggles
- If you don’t have kids yet but want them, it’s a great way to fast-track the process
- All of the users are looking for serious commitments
Why you should look elsewhere
- If a serious commitment sounds terrifying, this isn’t the app for you
- Currently iOS only, but they say they will be expanding to Android eventually
#8 - Happn (Android; iOS) is popular among San Jose men
Happn was built in the Tinder mold, for sure, but with a nice twist. Remember all those times you’ve been out and made eye contact with someone, only for them to leave too soon. A chance encounter like that could have turned into something meaningful, but you missed your window. Well, Happn is here to open that window back up.
The app is built around making connections through proximity. When you cross paths with someone out in public who also uses the app, they’ll appear in your timeline. Keep running into the same hottie but can’t work up the nerve to start up a conversation in public? This app can help. If it sounds intriguing but you want to know more, read our complete Happn review.
What we like about Happn
- Allows you to meet people who are close by
- Great for young people who are just looking for casual dating
What we don’t like about it
- It’s still a pretty new app, so your odds of running into a fellow user aren’t great
- Not the most useful app for meeting someone who is looking for something serious
#9 - BlackPeopleMeet (Android; iOS) is popular among San Jose’s Black population
It’s no secret that most dating sites are aimed at a white audience. Look at the sample profile pictures on almost any site and they’ll be almost exclusively Caucasian. The creators of BlackPeopleMeet recognized the benefit of building an online dating space for Black singles. It’s a digital place where people with similar experiences and backgrounds can meet.
For Black locals, BlackPeopleMeet is easily among the best dating sites in San Jose. Despite the city’s size, the Black population is one of the smallest in California. For that reason, this site is an invaluable tool for Black singles to connect and possibly even find love. It’s also an excellent app to have if you travel frequently and want to meet people in other cities.
Why BlackPeopleMeet is worth your time
- The site is one of the easiest ways for Black people to meet in San Jose
- It offers a refreshing alternative to most dating sites
- Good for meeting people who want either casual or serious relationships
What could use improving
- While there is an app, users say it’s too buggy and prefer the browser experience
- As with any niche dating site, it has a limited user base, especially in San Jose
If you are looking for more great guides to finding the right dating apps check these out: