“Are dating apps even worth it?”, you may be asking yourself. Well, we’d say so; just think of how much BS it cuts through. Instead of having to go through the entire dating pool of your local area (or the entire state of Pennsylvania) trying to find the one, you’re instead literally presented with people who like and do the same things as you. No more awkward bar conversations and no more awkward dates if you use the best dating apps in Philadelphia.
Dating apps work - we know because we’ve literally done the research. We’ve gone so deep that we’ve been able to figure out some of the best dating apps city-to-city. Here are our picks for the best Philadelphia dating apps.
#1 - Graze (Android; iOS) is one of the best dating apps in Philadelphia for face-to-face dating (but online)
Graze’s focus is to make video dates fun. This aims to get the two of you into a video chat, which is seamless on the app. If you’re thinking “but do video chats even work?”, our studies show they actually do, quite well. Just think, you get to know your “date” and see if you’re a good match without having to deal with getting all dressed up and going out. You can talk to your match from the comfort of your own home!
Here’s why Graze is great:
- They make video dating fun
- They’re pretty new, which means they’re actively updating and adding new features
- Their goal is to stop catfishing
Here’s why Graze isn’t that great:
- The user-base is quite small
- The app can be buggy
#2 - eHarmony (Android; iOS) is the best dating site in Philadelphia for long-term
eHarmony is the site that everyone has heard about and most of us know couples that met using, even if they keep that little fact under wraps. The reason this site is still around and incredibly popular in Philly is that it works! We haven't found an easier way to find long-term relationships yet.
Why it works is pretty simple; tons of Philly locals using it and a proven system that actually delivers on its promises. In fact, 70% of users find their eventual spouse within a year of using it. 70%! How crazy is that? No other app or site comes close to that.
Instead of forcing you to scroll through hundreds of profiles a day they make your life easy. They find out what you're looking for in detail and match you up with people that match that. Crazy idea right? It save so much time and has led to 75% of all marriages that begin online (another crazy success stat).
If you're really looking for someone compatible for something real this is your best bet in Philly.
Why we love eHarmony:
- The absolute best way to find compatible singles
- Insane success rates compared to any other app
- Your matches are based on your personality and preferences
Why it might not be for you:
- They pick the matches for you so you don't have a ton of influence on the process
- It takes a little time to really get cooking
#3 - On Pickable (Android; iOS), the choice lies with the woman
Pickable is an app that is 100% based on letting women choose their matches. Guys sign up, then make themselves “Pickable” - women don’t even need to have an account but can choose who is the most desirable (in their eyes).
Women aren’t required to give any information, in fact - not even their name or age. They’re completely anonymous until the matching process has begun, then they can reveal who they are. This element of mystery just makes the experience so much more exciting!
Why Pickable is great:
- Women do all the choosing
- As a man, you simply set your status to “pickable”
Why Pickable is “meh” in Philadelphia:
- The women who “pick” you might not even be your type
#4 - AFF is the best hookup app in Philadelphia
AFF is the best hookup site in Philadelphia, especially if you're not having a lot of luck on Tinder. While Tinder is turning into just another dating app these days AFF is sticking to its roots. Nothing else can compete right now.
Where AFF really shines is that a ton of people in Philly are on it and they're all focused on one thing, fun in bed. This is not about long-term relationships at all. When you have 60 million active members, a lot of whom are in Philly, with the same goal in mind you're going to have a lot of options.
If you're just looking for something casual check out their free trial below. It's easy to use and a much better experience than Tinder, especially for guys.
Why AFF is seriously one of the best dating sites in Philadelphia:
- Where single guys have been getting the best results in Philly
- Huge number of local users (and a lot of tourists who use it)
- It’s very straightforward and easy to use
What we don’t like about it:
- Many users can only access via web app
- They need better ads
- We don’t like the design much
#5 - Hinge (Android; iOS) is among the best Philadelphia dating apps for not-so-serious dating
Hinge was built for those who’re looking for something serious but still want it to be easy. It’s for the people in between ultra-serious and sort of serious. By this, the app has all the fun of Tinder and the seriousness of eHarmony.
You start off with a profile with all your best photos and some info. Hinge then gives you a list of fun questions to answer so that your potential matches can get a glimpse of your personality. Once done, you can then “like” different parts of a potential match’s profile and you can start a conversation from there. This simple method is actually pretty good at helping singles open up and start chatting. Many ex-singles would agree that Hinge is one of the best dating apps in Philadelphia today.
Why Hinge works:
- The profiles are super fun
- There’s no lack of users
- It has an amazing rating of 4.5 stars – better than almost any other dating app
Why it’s not our favorite:
- Customer support isn’t the greatest
- There’s the odd fake profile
#6 - Bumble (Android; iOS) is for finding dates, career development and friendship.
Bumble is an amazing 3-in-1 dating app. They offer dating (obviously), professional development (networking) and a BFF option. The app is mainly for casual dating, but you can find people looking for something serious too.
Sure, other apps do this too, but what sets Bumble apart? Well, it’s how the conversations start. When you find a match, it’s the woman who starts the conversation. This helps keep the women on the app as it helps them avoid creeps who start off a conversation with a dumb line.
Why Bumble is among the best Philadelphia dating apps:
- It’s a 3-in-1 package (career, friends and dating)
- It has a significant userbase
- Women message first
What we don’t like about it:
- Paid version can be frustrating because it doesn’t add that much
- Women have to message first
#7 - Jdate (Android; iOS) is one of the best dating apps in Philadelphia for Jewish people
Jdate is exclusively for Jewish people, and it works great! Jdate has been around for a long, long time. They’re one of the premiere group-specific dating sites. The company that owns it also has acquired apps and sites such as EliteSingles. So it’s safe to say they know how to match people even if the dating pool isn’t that huge.
Why Jdate is one of the best dating apps in Philadelphia:
- It’s one of the best dating sites in Philadelphia for Jewish people
- It’s been around for a long time
- The profiles tend to be extremely rich in content
Why Jdate is “meh”:
- If you don’t happen to be Jewish, skip this one
- The site works better than the app
#8 - Raya (iOS) is for the social-famous
Raya was specifically designed to help IG famous people meet: the absolute minimum followers necessary for access to the app is 5000. And they state that it is most optimal if you have 250,000+ followers. So, yeah - it’s probably not for the majority of people. With that being said, it’s great for those who do fit into this category. If you’re rich, famous or both, Raya might be one of the best dating apps in Philadelphia for you!
Why Raya works:
- It has a great selection of verified people to choose from
- They offer career development features as well
- They have a great rating of 4.5 stars
Why it might not be for you:
- You need a minimum of 5000 followers
- You can’t be on the app without paying
#9 - heybaby (iOS) is for parents or those who want kids
Heybaby was created for singles who have or want kids. It might seem silly to some, but if you fit into this category, “silly” couldn’t possibly accurately describe this app. Dating as a single parent can be really, really difficult. Heybaby makes sure to match you only with people who understand the struggle or are at least open to dating a single parent.
Why heybaby is one of the best dating apps in Philadelphia:
- It’s specifically created for single parents
- The app runs smoothly
- It has a great rating of 4.4 stars.
Why heybaby is “meh” in Philadelphia:
- It isn’t available on Android
- It doesn’t have a huge userbase